Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I bought a Fuji Track and now I'm totally hooked on fixed riding. I'm about to pass down the Fuji to my little bro (he needs a campus bike, starting college in the fall), so I need a new ride. I've been toying with the idea of building up a fixie for on-road training and dirt road rides, but I'm at bit of a loss about how to best build it up.
I'm particularly bewildered by handlebar choice...there's just sovmuch to choose from. I was thinking of a Surly Steamroller frame because it offers big tire/fender clearance, but I'm open to others too. I'm throwing myself at the mercy of you fixie gurus...help!

· Registered
1,006 Posts
BouncingSoul33 said:
I'm particularly bewildered by handlebar choice...there's just sovmuch to choose from. I was thinking of a Surly Steamroller frame because it offers big tire/fender clearance, but I'm open to others too. I'm throwing myself at the mercy of you fixie gurus...help!

I have an '06 Steamroller and absolutely love it. I also run the On-One Mungo moustache bar, which, after taking the time to set the level and angle, is an extremely comfortable and versatile handlebar. I run Michelin cyclocross tires, and the ride is smooth and fun. A great handling machine.

· Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
BouncingSoul33 said:
Last summer I bought a Fuji Track and now I'm totally hooked on fixed riding. I'm about to pass down the Fuji to my little bro (he needs a campus bike, starting college in the fall), so I need a new ride. I've been toying with the idea of building up a fixie for on-road training and dirt road rides, but I'm at bit of a loss about how to best build it up.
I'm with you on the handlebars. I just got my fixie about a month ago. I have some bullhorns on it and don't particularly like how long the reach is when I am seated and my hands are at the far end of the bars. Part of that is because my stem is a little too long, but part of it is because the bars are so much longer than drop bars. However, they are great when I am standing and climbing.

I will probably get wide drop bars (plus a new stem and levers) and keep the bullhorns so I can switch between them if I want. I've been putting it off while I try to make my final decision on the bullhorns.

The Steamroller has a large following. There are other frames that have room for fat tires, fenders, etc, and I am sure more people will chime in with suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.