Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I suddenly have an interest in building a fixie, but I'm quite ignorant on the topic. If it's truly fixed and you cannot coast, how do you handle descending big hills?

·
hello
3,394 Posts
You spin as fast as the bike forces you to.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
But if you can't handle the fast spinning during the descent you can control your speed by applying some backpedal pressure, use your hand brake, or a combination of both.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I always run a front brake. I try not to use it but it is nice to have. Especially if you like your knees, living, and things like that. ;)

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I run a front brake. I use it every time I need to come to a complete stop.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Oh and another thing. Dont go fixed or your geared bike will not like you anymore. Mine is getting lonley and with the roads being dry here finally I just might take it out tomorrow.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
and clipless......that's good too, it keeps the pedals from eating your feet off.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
real stonie said:
So I suddenly have an interest in building a fixie, but I'm quite ignorant on the topic. If it's truly fixed and you cannot coast, how do you handle descending big hills?
Clip out and let 'er rip.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
+1.....knees and living are a good thing in my book...
Some of the hipsters in town usually give me odd looks with my front disc brake. Yeah... I wanna see those brakeless guys come to a dead stop when a car in this city runs a red...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
emergencies

A from Il said:
I always run a front brake. I try not to use it but it is nice to have. Especially if you like your knees, living, and things like that. ;)
I know we beat this brake thing to death, but it's worth repeating for people new to this.

Two examples. First, a few years ago I was riding fixed and a car blew through an intersection where that driver had a stop sign and I did not. I grabbed my front brake as hard as I could, and back pedaled, and still I broke my steel cog from the braking force. If not for a front brake, I'd have been run over. Does no good to be dead right.

Second, I experimented with how long it would take to actually stop on a long descent, with no brake. I was going about 25 mph on the fixed down an 8.5 mile 5-7% average hill. On a long even slope, I braked as hard as I possibly could with just my legs. Took almost 30 seconds to stop. That's a looooong time. Under the same circumstances, if I'd have had a flat tire on the rear and no front brake, I don't know what I'd do. Probably just look for something soft to land in.

Oh, and in many states at least one brake is required by law.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Why clipless?

Clips and straps work better than clipless for running errands in work clothes.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Spinfinity said:

easier to get in and out of, for double-sided mtn bike pedals

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Spinfinity said:
Actually, for running local errands on the FG, the bike I keep at my shop runs plain platforms, no clips. I have no problem keeping my feet on the pedals. I run clipless on all my other FG's.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
roadfix said:
Actually, for running local errands on the FG, the bike I keep at my shop runs plain platforms, no clips. I have no problem keeping my feet on the pedals. I run clipless on all my other FG's.
I like to strap in for the commute; hate changing shoes to go out; and feel less secure standing quickly without something holding my feet to the pedals. Mostly what I'm used to more than what's best for everybody.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts