Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
naranjito
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking for a while about building up a fixie, and think I have almost all the parts (except the hub), but as I´ve never done it before I thought I`d ask for a bit of advice from the fixie experts on here. I´ve been reading the threads here and there are loads of good tips, but I thought I´d run my particular project by you all and see what might work and what might give me problems.

Frame and Fork: the one I´ve got that´s readily available is an old (12 year) KHS mountain bike frame. The only problem I can think of is that it has vertical dropouts - I can either look for a chain tensioner device (need help and recommendations there) or get the dropouts changed to track DOs. The frame could do with a new coat of paint anyway, so I thought I could get my local builder to weld some DOs on there and then either get him to paint it, or if I have time, do it myself (I did it before, but have seen loads of good advice from people here so I could probably do it better this time)

Wheels - I´m pretty sure I have a set of 26 inch wheels for this bike - I would only need to change the rear hub for a fixed (another part of the project is that i´ve never fully built a wheel from scratch, so I thought I could try that too this time around). I think a flip flop hub would be the best idea. I think the frame is a 135mm spacing (it´s so old it might be 130mm but I don´t think so) - I assume flip flops are available for this spacing, but can anyone confirm this? I need to know, as this might influence the possible dropout change on the frame.

tyres - might have some at home, it not I´ll need some new 26 inch slicks or something similar (I´m only planning on road use at this stage)

bars and stem - have some already.

headset - got one (i think - if not, then a cheapo that fits will do fine)

seatpost and saddle - got them already

brakes and levers - have them too.

BB - might need to buy new, depending on the ones I´ve got around the place and if I can get the correct chainline with them.

cranks - I´ve got some old shimano 105 170mm cranks which I could convert to single ring. Would they work OK, or would I have a really large Q factor with the correct chainline? Obviously a straight chain is the best, but surely a slight angle is not a problem?

sprockets - Need to get one (or two if I go flip flop) don´t know how many teeth yet. what´s the best width to get? Can I get one to match my old 8 speed ring and chain?

Chain - got a few oldish but still usable ones around, but they´re of the old 8 speed type. they will match with the chainring I´ve got, but is it better to use a wider chain?

pedals - got some double sided SPD pedals which should work fine.

apart from stuff like brake cables and outers and grips/tape I think that´s everything covered.

Any advice, constructive criticism, suggestions or recommendations are very welcome! Thanks in advance,

foz

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
you can't use a tensioner with a fixed gear.

If you're gonna build a new rear wheel anyway, get an ENO and you're set. If you don't like FG you can go SS mtn or sell the wheel- plenty of takers out there.

If you're gonna mess with the drops, you might just save a little more and get a frame with horiz drops or track ends. Plenty of cheaper choices out there now.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I´ve had a quick look at the ENO and it´s listed at 160 USD on their page, which is loads more than I´d hoped to do the whole project for (parts anyway). I understand what you mean about not messing with the dropouts, and the ENO seems like a good idea - are their any other makes out there that are a bit cheaper? I´d prefer to use the frame I´ve got if possible, because I´ve got it and it´s not worth anything second hand - It´s also taken me half way round the world (literally), so I 'd like to keep it. If I buy another one it´s just one more frame hanging around the place (which isn't a problem for me, but for my other half it would be!)

foz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.