Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Only riding fixed three months now, already in NYC traffic every day. I'd like to
hear of other riders' close calls and miraculous "saves." As I get more confidant
I find I am going faster, negotiating traffic lights with more skill, scooting around
pedestrians and other obstacles in Manhattan traffic with more nerve as the following
recent incident illustrates:

Heading down Broadway toward the Manhattan Bridge, made a sharp left turn onto
Bond Street, eastbound towards the Bowery and the bridge bike path. Turn was
pretty last minute, so I had to zig-zag behind a cab and and around all the foot
traffic crossing the street. Going slow, no big problem, until I realized I was
cutting very close in front of a woman, like less than two feet. Still not too bad, until
I saw she was carrying her Grande Starbucks coffee cup right in front of her, and I
was not going to clear that.

By sheer survival instinct I simply ducked down low, passing underneath her coffee
cup, while the lady - like any self-motivated New Yorker - never broke her stride a bit.

In the clear and straightening out I, with my pulse racing, I thought to myself,
"What the f--k did I just do?" Calmed down, and laughed that I must be getting
pretty comfortable on this thing by now.

Next time I'll talk about the truck door that flew open on Second Avenue. Not nice.

Gener. Brooklyn NY

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, this one time, at band camp, I was coming home from my local pizza shop with a Sprite in a bag. Little did I know that, along the trip, the bottle had been shaken quite a bit. So, when I opened the top, Sprite came pouring out like, like a fountain of Lymon deliciousness and it almost got on my top tube protector. Luckily, my instincts took over and I threw my mouth of the top of the bottle and chugged like my prom date.

That was a close call.

I won't even tell you about the time my Aerospoke almost got scratched on a handrail near my apartment.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Having less "close calls" is solid evidence of becomeing a better rider.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
de.abeja said:
amen brother.
Another vote for that.

I would think that almost mowing down a pedestrian might inspire some reaction other than laughter and bravado -- like maybe examining whether my riding style has outpaced my skills.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Prior to last night I'd ignor this thread as its somwhat a "my crash was better than yours" but what I pulled off last night is by far the luckiest crash of all time. And before you read further I do not want this to turn into a "whos fault was it".

Because I live an hour from the track I do alot of sprint work on the road, on my track bike. In my warm up jump a car pulled accros the road from a parking spot into a driveway. I didnt see anyone in the car, she didnt see a cyclist. I glanced off the front fender into a raised curb, collapesed the wheel in the process went airborn, mid flip let the bike go, and rolled/slid thru a lawn and a driveway. Only to watch my bike land 20 feet further than me in the middle of the road....clearing your average neiborhood sized tree. 2 people saw the whole thing happen.

The fact that I spent 2 hours being X rayed and not a single thing is fracured, and I escaped only with some good road rash is somwhat remanessant of a scene in Pulp Fiction where an entire clip is unloaded at Samuel L Jackson and not one bullet hits him.

Not a mark on the helmet, glasses didnt break, my phone and 15mm wrench were still in my pockets! I did manage to break thru 2 toshi straps and look keo's.

Heres the kicker. The bike is probably destroyed, I havent seen it since the fire dept took it back to the hall but the police officer who was on scene found my computer. He wanted an estimated speed of impact for his report. I turned on the computer to show him that I was able to stand up and walk into an ambulance (dripping blood no doubt) after crashing at 67.7 kmph. " you realize your 17km over the speed limit"

I own you all.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Jamieshankland said:
what I pulled off last night is by far the luckiest crash of all time. .
Jamie, if that's all true, you win. You either have the best crash-and-roll instincts I've ever heard of, or you're one lucky sum***** -- or both.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I always wear a helmet when I train. And beleive me, its all very true. Im trying to figure out how to get a photo on here to show the rash and bike. That or I could just list the numbers of the people who watched it haha. As far as instintcs go its not somthing you learn. People either reach for their face or grip the bars. Thankfully im the latter. As far as crashing goes, Ive had a few good ones in my years. This one by far involved no skill or learning how to crash, I have horse shoe up my ass and shoud but a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
834 Posts
This thread convinces me I did the right thing when I sold my fixie, 30 years ago, BEFORE I'd had any crashes. Doesn't matter how good a rider you are, pedestrians are so DAMN unpredictable....

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Non-sequitur

Doggity said:
Doesn't matter how good a rider you are, pedestrians are so DAMN unpredictable....
Maybe true, but irrelevant to this story. In the OP's story the pedestrian seemed to be behaving completely predictably, walking across the street with a bunch of other pedestrians. It was the rider who was behaving erratically and dangerously ("I had to zig-zag behind a cab and around all the foot traffic crossing the street").

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.