Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would you recommend ordering complete wheelsets from for a fixed gear? I'm going to start a build from my step dad's old 1977 fuji sport 10.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Harris Cyclery in West Newton, Massachusetts is one good source. It was formerly managed by the late Sheldon Brown, the guru of fixed-gear conversions since long before fixies became hip. Sheldon's articles on conversions of old bikes are still a great source of advice.

Are the wheels on the bike now trashed or unuseable? If not, you could replace only the rear wheel, unless you care about having the wheels match. In fact, if the wheels are good, you can build it with the existing wheels, as a bike of that vintage has a freewheel hub, which has the same thread used for a fixed cog. Many sources strongly discourage this (it's sometimes called a "suicide hub") because the cog can unthread with extreme back pressure (it lacks the reverse-thread lockring of a true track/FG hub). But if you're using brakes and avoid hard skip-stopping, it's one way to simplify and save $, and it can be done safely with those caveats (I've ridden thousands of miles on conversions done that way).

But if the present wheels are wrecked, obviously you need wheels. In any event, I strongly encourage you to read Sheldon, if you haven't already.
Bicycle Parts and Accessories from Harris Cyclery, Newton, Masschusetts
Fixed Gear Conversions
Articles about Fixed Gear and Singlespeed Cycling and Equipment
Harris Cyclery: Your Fixed-Gear Bicycle Headquarters!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will not be converting the original wheels. I just want to good wheelset that I can bolt on and go. I want to learn how to skid stop so I want a wheel that is strong.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm very satisfied with my Wabi SS bike, everything is very quality, great customer service from Richard. I would buy a pair of thier already built wheels, great looks, weight, durability, were quite true out of the box and have been durable. I'm 190lbs riding the standard wheelset, they now have a lightweight wheelset, good prices too. :)

Wabi Cycles fixed gear wheels

1 - 5 of 5 Posts