Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be more precise; riding fixed on the C&O Canal Towpath.

Sunday was really hard on both the mind and the body. We got our century in but when you can actually say that after a few hours of riding it warmed up into the teens that ain’t good.

I needed something easier on the mind on Presidents Day.

We headed out on McArthur to Great Falls where we hopped on the Towpath. Compared to yesterday it was warm and sunny with almost no wind. Good riding, great views and conditions. Heck it was barely even freezing.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At about mile 20 the canal dries up (well it gets swampy actually) and the path gets rough.

What to do? Speed up of course (watch out for ice).

At Edwards Ferry we got off the path for a while onto River Road. It is amazing to think that this empty dirt farm road is a crazy busy commuting route in DC just a few miles away.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then it was time to cross the Potomac at Whites Ferry on the Jubal Early (named in honor of a fairly famous Confederate General).

While we were in the area we decided to ride over to Balls Bluff Battlefield Cemetery-a sad but touching place on the Virginia bank of the Potomac.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That pretty much did it for dirt for the day. But you know, we really didn’t eat all that much Sunday. We stopped in Leesburg to start doing something about remedying that lack.

Then it was onto the fairly empty W&OD Trail for a nice tailwind ride home. Well….we did stop one more time.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
MB1 said:
That pretty much did it for dirt for the day. But you know, we really didn’t eat all that much Sunday. We stopped in Leesburg to start doing something about remedying that lack.

Then it was onto the fairly empty W&OD Trail for a nice tailwind ride home. Well….we did stop one more time.
Peanut buster parfait!!! Shaved Ice is not a substitute, even with a shot of booze. I miss Dairy Queen.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We ended up with a bit more than 80 very fun miles for the day. With all the energy food we had been eating the last few miles flew by and before we know it we crossed the river back into Georgetown and home.

It turned out to be one of those rare rides where you get home feeling better than when you left.

I wasn’t all that hungry either. :D

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Otoh

bigbill said:
Peanut buster parfait!!! Shaved Ice is not a substitute, even with a shot of booze. I miss Dairy Queen.
You get to commute in sandals and I miss Goodie, Goodie with red beans.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
You live close enough to your workplaces that you could commute in sandals, too. Not sayin' you won't be cold, but you could do it before losing any appendages year round.

·
Registered
32 Posts
fenders?

No fenders required on this ride?

MB1 said:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has been dry for a week now.

stuart said:
No fenders required on this ride?
Plus we were pretty sure (and correct as it turned out) that any water on the path would be ice.

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
MB1 said:
Plus we were pretty sure (and correct as it turned out) that any water on the path would be ice.

Great post.

I really have to check out the C&O sometime. I've been wanting to do that for a while, just haven't got around to it.

I was bikeless in DE and traveling via car on Sunday, but yeah it was COLD. I'm feeling better though...It's light out past 6pm now. Not much longer and those cherry blossoms will bloom.

Can't wait.....

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Hey MB

With some of the shots, do you fly ahead of MissM, get set up, take the shot when she rolls by, then fly to catch up to her? I have this funny image in my mind of her having to ride by the same shot each time till it's perfect (that's what I would have to do).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be a big no.

DrRoebuck said:
Hey MB

With some of the shots, do you fly ahead of MissM, get set up, take the shot when she rolls by, then fly to catch up to her? I have this funny image in my mind of her having to ride by the same shot each time till it's perfect (that's what I would have to do).
Miss M will pretty much let me set up about 1 shot per ride, otherwise there is no stopping for photography allowed. I take lots of shots and throw most of them away.

I've been doing it for so long that I pretty much have a good idea of what is going to work. Still, I throw at least 90% of my shots away.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, that would also be a big no.

OverStuffed said:
You live close enough to your workplaces that you could commute in sandals, too. Not sayin' you won't be cold, but you could do it before losing any appendages year round.
My toes would not be happy. :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
MB1's techinique

MB1 said:
Miss M will pretty much let me set up about 1 shot per ride, otherwise there is no stopping for photography allowed. I take lots of shots and throw most of them away.

I've been doing it for so long that I pretty much have a good idea of what is going to work. Still, I throw at least 90% of my shots away.
I have ridden with MB1 and Miss M a few times and it is interesting to see how MB1 takes his photos. He has mastered the technique of riding, looking straight ahead, keeping his left hand on the handlebars and snapping pictures behind him with his right hand. Unless you look really closely, you often don't realize that MB1 is taking photos.

The thought of Miss M allowing a posed shot is beyond my comprehension; I am shocked to hear that she even allows one posed shot per ride. I have seen only one other rider who was as focused on riding, as opposed to fun and games, as Miss M. And, he's now a retiree living in Texas.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Wow MB, great shots. But how do you keep your feet warm? It's been around 10 degrees here in the morning and I my toes lose all feeling (except pain) in about five minutes. Lots of socks? What kind of covers?

Anyway, fantastic that you guys were still able to get out and about.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well you know we ride pretty much every day of the year.

Ridgetop said:
Wow MB, great shots. But how do you keep your feet warm? It's been around 10 degrees here in the morning and I my toes lose all feeling (except pain) in about five minutes. Lots of socks? What kind of covers?

Anyway, fantastic that you guys were still able to get out and about.
The car sits and sits (actually it got a bit of use the last few months since we loaned it out to some folks up at Walter Reed (we didn't miss it a bit)).

Anyway since we know we are going to riding no matter what the weather we have slowly accumulated the equipment and knowledge that allows us to ride comfortably in almost any weather. Plus riding every day changes your attitude about what bad weather is.

On Sunday when it was really cold and windy I wore my winter cycling boots with shoe covers. Monday was a lot warmer and I just wore my regular cycling shoes-with the shoe covers on till lunch.

My suggestion for someone who would prefer to ride year round is to buy equipment in the off season. Stock up; you are going to use it sooner or later.

Ride your bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts