Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a guy at a bike shop gave me the idea to pull out the bearings in my old hub and JB weld them together so it doesn't freewheel. has anyone tried this or any other home grown technique for fixing a free wheel. i have a surly fixxer on one of my bikes but my roomate is looking for finding a way to fix his old roadie. any information would be great.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
63xc.com

there's a howto at <a href="http://www.63xc.com/mathieson/cheaphub.htm">63xc.com</a> that sort of covers this. I've been planning on trying this on a sora hub I've got kicking around but have yet to do so.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
A little scary...

a cheap hub is less than $50.00. No worries, no hassle...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
do not be afraid....

alrite, maybe it's a little sketchy. but it should work. one of my first fixed hubs was an old promax with horribly stripped threads that I jb welded the cog onto. worked well enough for me. the company that makes it lists the tensile strength at ~4000 psi so it ought to hold. but ultimately you're correct, if youve got $50 laying around and can build a wheel, there's better options.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
It is not that hard to do.

Remove the Freehub from the hub, degrease and weld. Repack bearing and outfit with spacers from a cogset and a single cog. Use the last cog and lock ring to tighten it down like any other cogset.

I ran a hub like this for thousands of miles with no problems. I finally wore out the rim and built up a fixed hub.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you use a welder or an epoxy like JB weld. it is hard to tell from the pic. what is the freewheel made out of. i have a welder but i'm not that good at welding thin metals yet.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
That is the freewheel off of a 8/9 speed ultegra hub. You use a large allen wrench and take it off and then you weld the backside. There is a groove between the part that rotates when coasting and the inside part. You just have to run a bead around it and grind a little on it to smooth it out. The freehub is made out of steel on ultegra so it is just a simple steel to steel weld. All lower grade hubs will also be steel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts