Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can't ride for more than 30 minutes without getting numb toes...

so, i tried some NNC with the Specialized BG inserts in my SIDI 4's - holy crap that is 100 times worse. the inserts took all the toe box room away and in only 9 minutes my toes were numb.

maybe it's time to give up on the SIDI's and find something else?

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
sounds more like 'attempting to fix it' (and failing miserably) rather than 'fixing it'.

but I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet, so you'll have to take this as a completely uninformed opinion.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Sidis have a rather narrow 'toe box.' The non-mega are about what americans would call a "D" width.

They work great for me.

Look into Northwave -- they have a particularly wide toe box, but the arch is still "normal."

Also, keep in mind that if you already have something jacked up and aggravated, it's going to be a gradual process to make it feel better. Much like biting your tongue, when you've got something swollen and sore, it's only going to bash into things that much more.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
asciibaron said:
maybe it's time to give up on the SIDI's and find something else?

Probably.

But you can try dr. scholl's inserts... they used to make gel ones that were VERY thin and totally flat. They might help delay the problem, and if so, that might indicate a problem with the foot bed of the sidis. If it still takes 30 minutes, the problem might be on the TOP of the shoe.

Knowing that might help you pick a better shoe going forward.

But I have never seen the BG insoles, so take it fwiw.

·
All natural
367 Posts
I had a toe problem like yours. I ended up with specialized shoes. They have a roomy toe box.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got back from trying a pair of Shimano's out - they are ok - the three outside toes on my right foot feel like they could be a problem. i'll try on a pair of Specialized tomorrow when i attempt to return the insoles.

they better take them back!

·
Weed
1,037 Posts
Bontrager shoes eliminated the numbness problems I had with my Sidis. You might give them a look to see if they do anything for you.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Shimanos is narrow. As said, Specialized tend wide.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
asciibaron said:
just got back from trying a pair of Shimano's out - they are ok - the three outside toes on my right foot feel like they could be a problem. i'll try on a pair of Specialized tomorrow when i attempt to return the insoles.

My wife likes her Specialized shoes a lot.

For me, my feet swell the first 20 minutes or so of a ride, then go back down. What I do is leave the toe and midfoot straps pretty loose for the first half hour, but tighten the top strap down pretty good. That gives me room to wiggle my toes, and get warmed up, and tends to stop any numbness problems without any heel movement. Then if I am riding hard, I can just reach down and snug things up and hit it.

Good luck!

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zyzbot said:
Bontrager shoes eliminated the numbness problems I had with my Sidis. You might give them a look to see if they do anything for you.
they were much tighter in the toe box. they had Mavics but said they were too narrow so they didn't bring them out. they are getting a 47 in the one shoe next week for me to try. i'll hit the Specialized shop tomorrow and see what is what over there...

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dr hoo said:
My wife likes her Specialized shoes a lot.
What I do is leave the toe and midfoot straps pretty loose for the first half hour, but tighten the top strap down pretty good.
i have tried all these tricks. what typically happens on my right foot is the two outer toes start going numb then my big toe. over on the left foot, the big toe and one right next to it go numb.

both feet have a burning sensation under the balls.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
asciibaron said:
i have tried all these tricks. what typically happens on my right foot is the two outer toes start going numb then my big toe. over on the left foot, the big toe and one right next to it go numb.

both feet have a burning sensation under the balls.
You might be clawing a bit - are your cleats too far forward?

Also, a too-high seat can exacerbate the problem, if you are even slightly inflexible.

If you are looking for shoes, Lake has explicitly wide models, and meaningfully so. None of this half-assed eye-talian version of wide, this is a proper Uhmerican version.

Oh, and yer seat's not level.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
I have a pair of the specialized BG mountain shoes, pretty comfy. I like a bigger toe box and these have plenty of room to wiggle toes.

I also use one of the BG inserts in my left shoe, the stock one in the right shoe, trying to address a ITB irritation, but I can't be sure it's making any difference as I had a cortisone shot about 6 weeks ago, might be masking any continuing irritation, probably won't know until spring.

The BG insert didn't take away any volume in the shoe. FWIW Sidi's have always been very narrow for my 'normal' foot as well.

Also, if your fitting is leaving you with lingering pain, I wouldn't ignore it. The guy fitting you can't tell you whether it's comfortable or not, just that it fits within a certain set of guidelines. Make small adjustments, ride them for a week or two, then adjust further if necessary..

Plum

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
There sure is a lot of NNC in this thread....

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
asciibaron said:
i had a professional fitting :mad2:
Well that's your problem then. :)

If a 'professional' fitting didn't address and correct this problem or at least identify the proper solution, it wasn't all that professional.

Unfortunately, $ spent and certificates on the wall don't necessarily mean all that much. 'Professional bike fitter' is the 'Draw Sparky and become an Artist' of our time.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Have a good beer or three, then it won't matter.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
I agree, Specialized BG insoles are crap. I replaced mine with something else that's lighter and feels 100x better.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Did you remove the Sidi insole before putting a different one in?

I had a pair of Sidis years ago -- the Genius 2. Man, those shoes and my feet did not get along. After a summer suffering with them, I tossed and bought some Carnac shoes. I rode two pairs of those for years and then bought a pair of Shimano 220's in wide -- I mostly wanted to try a carbon sole. Those Shimano wide shoes fit my wide feet great. They even come in half sizes. The carbon sole is great too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts