Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Okay, one piece at a time. FIrst off, if you change anything - just change one thing at a time and record where whatever was so you can put it back if the change turns out to be not needed.

The conventional wisdom on stems leans to higher - but there is only one correct position for you, and there's nothing that says it has to be like anyone else's. I suffered for years from the old British standards of frame sizing and positioning, finally figuring it out just before I quit riding for nearly 30 years. At 56, am now riding a bike and position pretty close to what I had figured out when I was 21 - okay, the bars aren't as way down as they used to be, but they are a fair bit lower than my saddle height.

Wisdom says it shouldn't be so, but I ain't going to put my bar tops above my saddle height for a long while yet.

Do you feel like your body is correct with reference to your pedals? If so, back away from your saddle region with that wrench and diddle with your stem instead. Your saddle fore and aft is largely dictated by your thigh length, for example - mine, to use an example I know well, are pretty short and prefer my new frame's 74.5 deg STA and zero setback seatpost to having my saddle somewhere aft of the back wheel.

However, some like it further back or forwards than others...

Your stem flip is the first easy try-out - I'd suggest you park your bike against a wall and draw around your bars, to give an easy reference to re-setting them at your prefered position in the flipped stem. If you don't refit your bars at the same rotational position, you've introduced a whole slew of changes you don't need right now.

Your next observation after that is to ascertain if the higher bars have helped, or would you prefer the same bar height, but with a shorter stem - which, unless you can borrow one off a ride buddy (we all have one who has more stems than Nashbar, if we ask around!), costs money.

Good luck with your re-positioning - but remember that in the end, you are the only one who can define your riding position.

Hope that helps

Dereck

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.