Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just today my front wheel started to creak once every revolution. Every minute or so or on bumpy sections it would skip a revolution, but would then go on creaking. I've heard of the "Open Pro Click" and I guess my front wheel has contracted it. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I'm not even sure if that is the click because it sounds more like a creak. I've already greased inbetween all the spokes where they overlap (3-cross) but that didn't fix it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Check your spoke tension

Not sure how many miles you have on yours... but a lot of OP "Clicks" have been solved by increasing the spoke tension.

niteschaos said:
Just today my front wheel started to creak once every revolution. Every minute or so or on bumpy sections it would skip a revolution, but would then go on creaking. I've heard of the "Open Pro Click" and I guess my front wheel has contracted it. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I'm not even sure if that is the click because it sounds more like a creak. I've already greased inbetween all the spokes where they overlap (3-cross) but that didn't fix it.

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just over 2000 miles on this wheelset and it was made by Colorado Cyclist.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
I fixed mine by putting a drop of chainlube in the eyelet where the nipple goes(no dis-assembly required). Often you only need to lube the eyelets around the stem opening. Generally this fixes the problem, but re-application may be necessary after wet rides. And yes, it really sounds more like a "creak" than a click to me also.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Agreed, check spoke tension

I thought I had the imfamous click. Put up with it for a week and then took a close look at the wheel. A couple of spokes had rattled loose. I tighten just those two spoke back up to bring the wheel back in.

The rear non-drive side came loose so I gave all the spoke a half turn to increase tension all around to keep those spokes from rattling loose.

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I already checked the wheel for the simple things like that. Also check for cracks as well.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
The "real" OP click can't be fixed, short of replacing the rim. It sounds just like a click, so your problem sounds like something else. The OP click doesn't hurt anything, except it slowly drives you mad. It sounds a little like a dot magnet hitting a computer sensor.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
This is correct Mr.Grumpy is the man!

The real op click sounds like a nipple is floating around inside the rim.
I have had a pair do it to me. I think a weight comes loose and then rattles around in there but I never opened the open pro to find out.
Check your spoke tension.
Also:
When you true your rims do you twist back a little to let the spoke "detorsionize"?
Yes, I made up that word. You need to let the spoke go back to its relaxed (untwisted) state. If it is not this can make a popping noise, like what you are talking about.

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Give me a bit more credit that that guys. Duh. I checked for all the obvious causes and have resorted to just lubing the nipples. Didn't hear any clicks on the rollers today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.