Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told at my favorite LBS to position the Airone from the nose (another words the same refernce point from cc of bar to tip of saddle nose) as the seat I was replacing. That is where I positoned it but becuase it is the longest saddle out there it seems to have shifted me away from my previous alignment of knee over the spindle and it's shape is higher which looks like I need to raise my post higher than my treid and true 75cm from top of seat to cc of BB.

Anyone else experience similiar positioning issues with the Airone?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
All saddles are different lengths - measuring from the nose will never get you to the right spot. I absolutely hate changing saddles, but, my best results for painless positioning usually come from measuring from the widest part of the saddle to the bars. Another way is to have a friend plumb bob your knee relationship to the pedal spindle on the old saddle, and set the new saddle up to duplicate the knee position...

Zach

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
The Arione is the longest saddle out there, it is 3cm longer than the norm. Most of the length is in the nose. You might have to push it a little more forward than your old saddle. Positioning your saddle using a measurement from the saddle tip to your handlebars is meaningless, unless you are using the same saddle as before. You can try to have someone help you with a KOP position. I like to ride with my saddle pushed way back, so I push my Arione back as far as it will go, keeping within the index marks on the rails.

Another thing you could do is just set it dead center in the middles of it's rails and ride and adjust by feel. Of course Ariones don't work for everyone. Mine was comfy from day one..

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
I've been through more saddles than I have hairstyles...

The nose is the LAST place that you'd reference for fore/aft positioning when switching to a different length saddle. You want to make sure that the height it the same as the old one (different rails/amounts of padding make a difference). I measure from the BB up the seat tube to the top of the saddle.
QStick's got it right- Ideally, you look for the knee @ the pedal spindle (although some people like a little ahead or behind that) for fore/aft position, but if you're gonna measure it, go from the widest part to the saddle to the steer tube.

One weird thing that sometimes works on a properly adjusted saddle: put the elbow of one arm @ the nose of your saddle and reach towards the steer tube. Next, turn your other hand sideways (fingers parallel to handlebars) and place the knuckle of your index finger up against the tip of your middle finger on the seat-nose arm. Your pinky (on the sideways hand) with usually be in the middle of your handlebars...

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Dinosaur said:
Of course Ariones don't work for everyone. Mine was comfy from day one..
Same...mine replaced an SLR (another tricky saddle to find the right position for)...I love the extra room to move around. The day I got it I rode a century--I was sold.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Arione fit tips

I used the Arione last year with moderate success but I am currently back on the Flite (old version).

First off, it is long but most of that length is because of the REAR section of the saddle, that triangular extension at the back. The nose itself is not that long. If you lay it over a Flite or SLR and match up the contour and the widest points of the saddle (where the sitbones hopefully sit), you will see the Arione actually has a shorter nose. So, when setting it up you should compare it to your old saddle by figuring out where the nose is relative to the widest part. Odds are the Arione will be shorter in the nose. Then, measure your current saddle's setback from the BB to the nose using a plumb bob. For example, I switched from a Flite that was 7 cm set back. Lining up the Arione and Flite on top of each other, the Arione's nose was ~ 1 cm shorter. So I positioned it ~ 8 cm back from the BB.

In terms of saddle height, it is best to go by feel. The Arione is a "tall" saddle from rail to top (compared to SLR or Flite) but it also has more padding and the rider will sit "in" it a little more. If your old saddle is very firm and concave in profile then measure the saddle height from the BB to the top of the saddle at the widest point. Set the Arione to about the same height at its widest point and adjust from there.

I also found I had the best comfort running the Arione slightly nose up, but that is pretty much how I set all my saddles. I use a bubble level of 8" lenght and placed one end right at the very back edge of the Arione and leveled from there, that gave me slightly nose up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.