Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the non-Carbon Aliante is any softer than the Carbon model? It felt that way in the store.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
MellowCat said:
Does anyone know if the non-Carbon Aliante is any softer than the Carbon model? It felt that way in the store.

Thanks,

Scott
I have the Aliante Gamma, have a buddy with the carbon model. They seemed padded equally, and my impression was that the carbon was slightly more flexible. No science here, just thumb and hand pressure.

Rather than listen to a bunch of guesses, why not ask the guys who know?

http://www.fizik.com/info_contact.aspx

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have both the Aliante with the carbon shell, and the Aliante Sport, which does not have the carbon shell. While riding with the the Aliante Sport, I notice that it is quite a bit harder and less flexible, which for me is less comfortable. It depends on what you are looking for. When I first rode the Aliante, I thought the shape was the best I had ridden, but perhaps a tad soft. After riding the Sport, I have realized it is just right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the problem

I have with the Aliante Carbon is feeling the edges of the shell when sitting for along time. Its like I sink through the padding and then feel the sharp edge of the seat shell poking me. I felt this problem when I tried the Carbon model. I pushed on both the carbon and sport model's edges and the sport felt softer. I have the sport to try now, so I guess I'll see first hand!

Any other saddles I should try? So far I've tried both the Aliante Carbon and the Arione Ti. I normally ride a Flight Gel and its just not working out for longer rides.

I thought about trying some Higher end shorts/bibs as another way to cure my discomfort.. Can anyone comment on a short/bib thats got a much better pad? I wear either the Nike Dri-Fit's or Pearl Attacks now.

Thanks for the comments.

Scott

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
MellowCat said:
Can anyone comment on a short/bib thats got a much better pad? I wear either the Nike Dri-Fit's or Pearl Attacks now.
if you can afford a carbon saddle, you can afford some good Bibs. get some Assos - they have the best chamois, best everything in the business.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gamma is stiffer

I had my LBS call the distributors for Fizik to inquire about the differences between the Gamma and the Carbon, besides $100. They indicated the grpahite Gamma had very little flex and offers a stiff ride. The carbon flexes more and absorbs more road vibrations. Carbon also has usless carbon fabric stiched into it for bling factor, or comes in white if you are fast....and I mean fast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

for the info!

I still may look for something with more cush. I'm not a racer so the weight issue is not that big of a deal to me.

Scott

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
wtf is Aliante Sport then?

atlroadie said:
I had my LBS call the distributors for Fizik to inquire about the differences between the Gamma and the Carbon, besides $100. They indicated the grpahite Gamma had very little flex and offers a stiff ride. The carbon flexes more and absorbs more road vibrations. Carbon also has usless carbon fabric stiched into it for bling factor, or comes in white if you are fast....and I mean fast.
is Aliante Sport with Ti rails the same as Aliante Gamma?
If not then how is Gamma better that Sport? My shops sells all of them and the shop guy said Aliante Carbon is a waste of money when it comes to ride quality, he said all Aliante with Ti rails ride the same. Perhaps there are folks here who have tested/owned all that can comment? If I go by palm feel the Carbon feels softer that my Aliante Sport. Not sure about Gamma.

thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts