Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been searching for the perfect saddle, and I think I've done OK with the Terry Liberator Ti Race. My main issue is numbness, and the Terry does a nice job of minimizing that. The problem I'm running into now is just plain old pain on longer rides. I use Pearl Izumi 3D shorts that are awesome, but the soreness in the sit bones just gets crazy. This is exacerbated by riding on our tandem, where standing out of the saddle is a pretty uncommon thing.

I'm looking at Fizik because of the glowing reviews of the Aliante series, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience comparing the Aliante to the Liberator Ti Race, or the SI Max Flite TransAM GelFlow. Both of those saddles are good at reducing the numbness, but again, I still haven't found that perfect "all day" saddle. I'm most likely looking at the Aliante Gamma to save some cash, but if the more expensive one is more comfy I could be persuaded...

Thanks for the help.

DrPete

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the shorts? I have both the cheaper Ultrasensor and the Microsensor shorts. The latter shorts are ok for short or medium rides but on long rides my sitbones get sore and eventually the skin over the sitbones gets raw I think the extra padding in the sitbone area puts more pressure on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really think so, but I might be wrong. I have the same problem using an older pair of Ultrasensors. The Microsensor 3D's have worked pretty well. I guess I could try another pair of shorts before I pick up a new saddle. What would you recommend in the shorts dept.? I've been a Pearl Izumi wearer for as long as I've been biking (8 years or so).

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
If you have the same problem with the Ultrasensors, then your problem is different from my problem.
I think that if you reduce pressure on the sitbones with a more rounded saddle (i..e a regular Selle Italia Flite) then you will increase pressue on the nerves in the middle, which can cause numbness. The Max Flite TA is noticeably wider than standard racing Selle Italia saddles. I used one (a non gel model) on my softtail MTB and it worked well there. I noticed the width and the saddle was a little too wide for me, but on a MTB that's not such a big deal and the extra cush was useful. I can't compare to a Fizik saddle though since I haven't ridden one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts