Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I broke an SLR off in a crash a few years ago. I also had a team mate who kept bending the rails on his from re-mounting (he has good form too). Selle Italia warrantied the first two but cut him off after that. I love the Fizik Arione (have them on my road bikes) but we have too many muddy races up here & i just couldnt bare to watch those get destroyed in the elements.

~Dave

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
I rode mine all cross season and all winter. It held up fine, but finally gave up the ghost today. A corder of the backing broke off. It's still rideable, but it's definitely broke. Still, it help up in cross fine.

If I were you, I'd get the new off-road version of the SLR. The weight penalty is only like 30 grams. I'm ordering a couple for this coming season.

·
Registered
459 Posts
In all honesty.... neither.

I've got two buddies who popped the shell off the rails of their SLRs during remounts.

I rode a Arione on my pit bike last season and didn't like it. The extension on the back of the saddle stuck out too far for my taste.

Race bike has a WTB Shadow V. Nothing terribly fancy, but it's padded in all the places you need it to be, and I like the protective patches on the rear edges. Only 200 grams, so nicely between the SLR and Arione.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The Arione is great IMO. I got 2 cross seasons and a road season out of one before it cracked, and I did pop the rail out of another in a crash, but that's to be expected. It all comes down to what your rear end likes. I sat on a new, white Arione for almost 4 hours yesterday going nearly 30mph the whole time over rough pavement (Snelling RR) and that seat felt great. Seals the deal for me!

·
Registered
809 Posts
wunlap togo said:
The Arione is great IMO. I got 2 cross seasons and a road season out of one before it cracked, and I did pop the rail out of another in a crash, but that's to be expected. It all comes down to what your rear end likes. I sat on a new, white Arione for almost 4 hours yesterday going nearly 30mph the whole time over rough pavement (Snelling RR) and that seat felt great. Seals the deal for me!
I got two cross seasons out of mine as well before it broke. I guess our expectations of reliability are a bit different. I think it's a great saddle for the road it just doesn't seem to hold up to the rigors of off road. Mine broke when I was compressed really hard through a hole. Separately, it seems that I can ride just about any saddle off road, but on the road is a different story.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
kajukembo said:
I got two cross seasons out of mine as well before it broke. I guess our expectations of reliability are a bit different. I think it's a great saddle for the road it just doesn't seem to hold up to the rigors of off road. Mine broke when I was compressed really hard through a hole. Separately, it seems that I can ride just about any saddle off road, but on the road is a different story.
I put a pretty signifigant amount of road or road-like time on my cross bike during the season, and I like to keep my behind happy. I'm also under 135lbs so I am pretty easy on them. I've used lots of different seats for 2+ years (Flite, San Marcos, Bontrager). They all seem to get too worn to use or break or get a bent rail after about 2 full years of riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts