Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last few months or so I noticed my fizik Arione became very uncomfortable, but I thought it was due to winter and seldom riding. After 1500 km situation improved but it still felt odd. Then I decided to check it (yes, I'm that lazy) and saw that it split in two and that I was basically sitting on the seat post all the time :mad2:
Strange thing is that one of my riding buddies, when he saw it, said he had Arione failed exactly the same way...so some pattern is possible here.
Now I understand what that "wing flex" means :)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
I'd suggest getting a new saddle. :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sherpa23 said:
I'm going to take a wild quess here and say that you weigh about 215 lbs or a little more...
:thumbsup: Just a little bit more :)

·
naranjito
785 Posts
Mine split in the same place. Not all the way across, but about 75% from one side to the other. It had 4 years of constant hard use, so I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
foz said:
Mine split in the same place. Not all the way across, but about 75% from one side to the other. It had 4 years of constant hard use, so I'm not complaining.
So another one. That is the 3rd with the same failure. Looks like those ribs are weak spot and that the crack is propagating from there.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I don't think that saddle is rated for that weight.

Insanity is doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result.

Len

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I weigh 200+, have two Arione saddle and never had one split, however I have read that they do that. I'm taking a wild guess and wondering if it has anything to do about the seatpost that you are using. Was your saddle way far forward or aft?

I was off my bike for 5 weeks and returned to my San Marco Regal which will probably last longer then me..

If you want to stick with an Arione I would buy a new one. I would not try to glue it back together..

·
naranjito
785 Posts
The type of seatpost or where it clamps the rails will have nothing to do with it - youstill sit on the saddle in the same way regardless of seatpost or clamp position. Weight, riding style, road surface will all have an effect.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bring it into your LBS, this is a reoccurring problem with these saddles, I know for a Fact Fizik will warranty it for you, give it a try and let us know. If the shop says otherwise call or email Fizik off their website they will take care of you they have very good customer service. Take care and yes this happens, I way 145 and have had 2 saddles break before switching over to a Specialized Phenom for a little stiffer and better fitting saddle. Be well.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I don't agree with that..

foz said:
The type of seatpost or where it clamps the rails will have nothing to do with it - youstill sit on the saddle in the same way regardless of seatpost or clamp position. Weight, riding style, road surface will all have an effect.

If you note the marks on the saddle that cracked you can see the saddle was placed in a aft position, past the index marks. Some saddles come with warnings from the manufacturer not to go past the index marks. Riders weight will make a difference the way in the way the weight is distributed on the rails. However with the Arione, these saddles just do that after awhile, I've read....

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Len J said:
I don't think that saddle is rated for that weight.

Insanity is doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result.

Len
Maybe...I'm a bit over 200 most days and I've ridden one for 2 seasons now--rode an SLR before that.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
The only marks that I can see are near the centre of the clamping part of the rails. Even if the saddle was clamped near the ends of the rails, that doesn't change where you sit on it. Even though the arione is a long saddle with more room for moving around than most, there's really only one comfortable spot that gets used most of the time, so you're sitting in the same place on the saddle all the time, regardless of where the rails are clamped.
A simple analogy would be a wooden ladder rung, or any beam held in place at both ends. Put a heavy enough weight or enough force on the rung, and it'll break. Think of the saddle base (the part that cracked) as the rung, held in place by the ends of the rails, with rider weight pushing down in the middle of it. It doesn't matter how or from where the ends of the rails are held in place.

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
I am just under the 200 mark and my Selle Italia has been fine for 1000 miles.

However keep in mind the faster you are going, the more weight is on the pedals and the less on your saddle.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here I noted rails with blue lines where it was clamped.
Factory index marks are mostly erased, so I'm not sure did I surpass them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.