Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
Here's Competitive Cyclist's Fizik link:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/components/fizik/saddles.236.html

I rode the regular Wing-Flex for over 1000 miles but it didn't work because the high center (side-to-side) made my groin numb after 45 minutes. :( Everything else was fine. It works better on my mountain bike because of the more upright riding position.
Now I'm on the Antares Kium and love it. :thumbsup:
The CX would probably work for me because the profile is flatter. My understanding is that Fizik went to a new denser and lighter padding to maintain comfort.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I rented a bike recently while on holiday. It had a regular Arione on it. I bought an Arione CX and it does not feel like the same saddle. Oddly enough, I found the stock Arione to be flatter. It also had more padding than the CX. I think it comes down to trying before you buy, or at least demoing the saddles back to back. I also tried the Antares and it has the taint-killing hump in the middle for me. The Toupe is the best I have found so far for my bum. Saddles are such personal taste.

·
my bike's underpowered
440 Posts
Tyro,

Was the Arione CX you bought the 2009 model? Fizik had a few different CX models in 2008. The 2009 CX w/ Kium rails that I've seen are defintelly flatter from side-to-side than the regular Arione.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
ksanbon said:
Tyro,

Was the Arione CX you bought the 2009 model? Fizik had a few different CX models in 2008. The 2009 CX w/ Kium rails that I've seen are defintelly flatter from side-to-side than the regular Arione.
It is an 09. The one I rode on the rental could be any vintage.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm confused...

I have the first generation Arione (white with silver center stripe). The "stripe" is pretty wide and I am NOT a fan of it. It seems to cause undue pain in my nether region. I like the way the saddle feels width-wise, but HATE the center raised strip. Now, the newer Ariones appear to have a narrower, flatter center stripe. Does that make a difference? Also, I am completely confused about the CX moniker. They have a CX Braided, which has NO center stripe and carbon rails (looks to be my preferred option) and a CX Braided Carbon which HAS a center stripe. What does the CX moniker refer to?

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
I've ridden both. There was a learning curve going to the CX, I use it on my 29er singlespeed MTB, but eventually learned to love it. It didn't hurt the the CX with carbon rails was 60 grams lighter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.