Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got some Fizik bar tape, I've been using cork stuff. To my surprise, the tape ended up being way too short to cover the tops. They only reached to the bend right before the tops. I'm probably just going to wrap the tops with electrical tape and deal with it, but I wasn't expecting it to be that short. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I typically end up trimming a piece off the end of Fizik tape...never had it be too short.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Never heard of running short, all my experiences there's too much therefore the need to cut/trim.

I think you overlapped too much :blush2:

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Overlapping by just a little on each loop around adds up to a lot at the end.

The first time I put my own tape on, just so happened to be Fizik, I had the same problem. Came up short then I took it off and tried again overlapping by ever so slightly less each loop and ended up with quite a bit extra.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Fizik tends to sell their rolls with quite a bit fewer linear inches than other brands. Yay for capitalism. Pay more get less.

Most other brands you get more for what you pay. Fizik is probably the worst I know of in thie regard.

You overlapped (way) too much.
Bingo.

You practically cannot overlap much at all....which stinks as the Microtex stuff has no cushion to start with.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeah, there's no way for the tape to cover the tops. Even with less than a 1/4" overlap, it doesn't do it. This is the 3mm thick tape. Maybe that's the problem. Oh well, I'll wrap it thick and deal with the tops not being wrapped. I'm almost never on the tops and I wear gloves so that's fine. The finished product looks like how Giant does the bar tape on their propel bikes. Looks pretty good to me, but the clear coat on my carbon handlebars is peeling, so I'm just wrapping the tops with electrical tape. I do like the feel, grip, and cushion of the bar tape though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts