Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few Fizik saddles over time, but none with the wing flex. Could any of you tell me, how long does it take for the flex to start working. Is it a lot flex like a brooks saddle, or is it just minimal?
Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I currently use an Arione saddle as well as a Brooks Cambium C17. The wing flex (from how it was explained to me) means the outer portions have some give to them to provide more compliance and is always "working" as you ride. I would rate it as less give than my Brooks.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply jason. You wouldn't believe how many people I asked that question too and nobody knew. I was waiting for a noticeable difference, but it doesn't sound like ill be feeling much. I thought I may have been getting chafing from those hash marks on the sides, so I ordered a Antares from Nashbar and it doesn't have those cuts in the sides. It just has those marks, that look like grooves. I really hope it works.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been riding the Antares for the past few years and I like them a lot. I current have R3s on both my bikes. I have also ridden the older style without the hash marks. One note is that I did not like the OEM or current R5 versions that are molded plastic if you flip them over vs the versions that are mesh composite - way more flex/comfort on the composite versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the R3 now without the hash marks and if I have to, I'll get the oo model when this one wears out. That one doesn't have the cuts on the sides either.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I want to give an Antares a try, since according to the marketing material Fizik puts out, I am a chameleon on their spine concept chart. But I have been coming across my Fiziks for dirt cheap and I know they work, so I have been sticking to them. One was $12, the other was $50.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to give an Antares a try, since according to the marketing material Fizik puts out, I am a chameleon on their spine concept chart. But I have been coming across my Fiziks for dirt cheap and I know they work, so I have been sticking to them. One was $12, the other was $50.
The one I had was really comfortable, but I got some chafing going on. I don't know if it was the hash marks or my bibs or what. Its not supposed to rain tomorrow, so I'll get a chance to give it try. I really hope it works.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I got the Antares R3. Felt it was more comfortable than any other saddle I've ridden. Got a second for my other road bike. Both have hash marks. Never experienced chafing.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I got the Antares R3. Felt it was more comfortable than any other saddle I've ridden. Got a second for my other road bike. Both have hash marks. Never experienced chafing.
Thanks for the reply, I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Also how long did it take the saddle to start flexing on the sides, or did it at all.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've found the "Kurves" to be more comfortable than the respective standard versions... for both "wing flex", and center saddle. I currently have (2) bikes, but (4) Kurve Bulls.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've found the "Kurves" to be more comfortable than the respective standard versions... for both "wing flex", and center saddle. I currently have (2) bikes, but (4) Kurve Bulls.
Reading a review of the Kurve, it sounds like a high tech (and low weight) version of the Brooks Cambium.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Also how long did it take the saddle to start flexing on the sides, or did it at all.
When I press on the wings I guess I can see them flexing a little bit.

I find the seat actually rather flat, smooth, and hard-ish. This contrasts with my prior seats that had a little more cushion like feel to them. I guess my a** prefers this hard, flat, slight flex approach.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The easily-flexed "wings" primarily help riders whose inner thighs are close to touching or touching each other when standing off the bike. The extra flex prevents hard chafing of the inner thighs against the edges of the saddle when riding. Not a bad thing, actually.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The saddle felt pretty good today. I only went 25 miles and I'll give it another try tomorrow. I level the nose like Fizik said to do and I felt I needed a little nose up. When I raised the nose one turn on the seat post screw it felt pretty good, but at mile 20 I could feel it starting to rub. The rubbing was coming from the nose and not the hash marks. I just lowered the nose a half turn and I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
1 Posts
The easily-flexed "wings" primarily help riders whose inner thighs are close to touching or touching each other when standing off the bike. The extra flex prevents hard chafing of the inner thighs against the edges of the saddle when riding. Not a bad thing, actually.
Hey Guys, I've been following this Thread quite for a while and I wanted to give you some advice on that chafing issue. I always use lube to avoid chafing. It might help some of you :) Greets

·
Registered
760 Posts
Reading a review of the Kurve, it sounds like a high tech (and low weight) version of the Brooks Cambium.
Roger that. I know that I've come to really appreciate the "suspension" effect as the main part of the saddle has a noticeable amount of "flex" when hitting road imperfections. Also nice having the ability to change the saddle tension between Hard/Soft, via a replaceable insert, though I have not yet tried the "hard" setting.

·
Registered
760 Posts

Works when "on" the bike as well, especially if the rider tends to use the back of the saddle for support during harder efforts.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I didn't have the Kurve version of the Antares...if there is one. I only had the "Snake" (sold it...too narrow at the rear), and have the Kurve Bull, as I need the ramp at the back.

You should be able to check the specs online, but from what I know/remember, the Kurves feel slightly narrower throughout, as any inner thigh chaffing went away. Although the softer nature of the saddle itself, and more flexible wings do help a good deal for comfort "for me". I got rid of the Snake, after initially liking the Arione which became painful at the wings on longer rides, because I kept sliding off the back of the Snake under harder efforts while climbing. Again, reinforcing my belief that the Kurves run slightly narrower throughout. Similar experience with the Bull.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts