Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many fizik have curved back end: Gobi, Arione which I hated/ found really uncomfortable. Does this bother anyone else?
Would I hate Aliante too? Also what of the cost of these saddles?
$$$? Didn't 1990 saddles cost ~$50? Are Fiziks worth their weight in gold?
Or overpriced?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
I bought the Aliante because it's so cool looking and light, but it's only comfortable for 50 miles, and then it becomes too hard. So it's back to the regal for me. Flat saddles? who really rides 100 miles on a flat saddle and is really comfortable?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
siclmn said:
Flat saddles? who really rides 100 miles on a flat saddle and is really comfortable?
Who rides 100 miles on any saddle and is really comfortable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Check out the Bontrager InForm--new saddle designed by Univ of Wisconsin. Really comfortable and unlike any saddle I've ever ridden. Cheaper than Fizik's high-end stuff, too. Many of the Astana team are riding this saddle--which is saying something for a new saddle. Most racers stick with their long-time favorites.
 

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
I've been told this lady, called Brook is a hottie.

She's a keeper and she comes in all sorts of colors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,844 Posts
The Fizik Vitesse costs less than half as much as an Aliante and only weighs about 20 grams more. It has the same shape but it's a little wider. Most comfortable saddle I have ever used, and I've now got it on three bikes. Not a good choice, however, if you like narrow saddles.

Saddle comfort is very individual. What is comfortable for one person is miserable for someone else. The only way to know for sure is to ride one. That's why I only buy saddles from stores that will allow returns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,037 Posts
I like the Aliante. Since I got it dialed in I can ride all day with comfort.

Aliante is generally regarded as a saddle with one comfort sweet spot, one that you cannot move around on like the Arione for example. However, after a few thousand miles it is so comfortable that I can move around on it long enough to put pressure on different places to give a rest and also when I want to move back to use glutes when climbing.

Most generally agree that you like either one or the other although I do have one riding buddy that uses them both. He prefers the Aliante on the really long rides because it is more comfortable. I personally demoed an Arione a few weeks ago and did not like it. When I went back to the Aliante it really made me appreciate how comfortable it is for me. YMMV. You may not like either.

The Aliante Sport is the model that I have and it is as comfortable as the more expensive models, at least most people express that opinion. You can get them on E-bay for $30 and my retailer has at least one on the shelf though it is generally only available as OEM.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,756 Posts
steel515 said:
Many fizik have curved rear: Gobi, Arione which I hated/ found really uncomfortable. Does this bother anyone else?
Would I hate Aliante too? Also what of the cost of these saddles?
$$$? Didn't 1990 saddles cost ~$50? Are Fiziks worth their weight in gold?
Or overpriced?
I have maybe 9 or 10 saddles hanging on the wall in my garage ranging from $75 to $200. The Arione is by far the most comfortable on long rides for me. A couple of other are good till about 60 miles and then become intolerable.

It is true that it will wear out in about 2000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Saddles are totally personal, but I do think a large amount of the discomfort isn't a function of the saddle itself but the positioning of the saddle. I ride an Arione on my road bike and it feels great. (To my eyes the thing is flat as a board.) On my fixed speed I ride a Brooks Pro and it feels great. Totally different saddles, both work for me. The Brooks took a lot of adjusting - height, fore/aft, tilt - before I hit the "spot."
 

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
dekindy said:
I like the Aliante. Since I got it dialed in I can ride all day with comfort.

Aliante is generally regarded as a saddle with one comfort sweet spot, one that you cannot move around on like the Arione for example. However, after a few thousand miles it is so comfortable that I can move around on it long enough to put pressure on different places to give a rest and also when I want to move back to use glutes when climbing.

Most generally agree that you like either one or the other although I do have one riding buddy that uses them both. He prefers the Aliante on the really long rides because it is more comfortable. I personally demoed an Arione a few weeks ago and did not like it. When I went back to the Aliante it really made me appreciate how comfortable it is for me. YMMV. You may not like either.

The Aliante Sport is the model that I have and it is as comfortable as the more expensive models, at least most people express that opinion. You can get them on E-bay for $30 and my retailer has at least one on the shelf though it is generally only available as OEM.
My buddy loves the Arione. I loaned him my Aliante Sport and he hated it. Me, I love my Aliantes. I did try my buddy's Arione but not long enough to really have an opinion of them (no more than a mile of total riding on his bike - he rides a 55 and I ride a 52 so I don't exactly fit his bikes).

The Aliante Sport is slightly stiffer than a Twin-Flex Aliante. Early on, I could tell a difference between riding one bike with the Sport and the TF after about an hour. Now, they feel about the same because my back side has grown accustomed to them and I can pretty much ride either saddle for hours on end. I currently have three Aliante saddles: Aliante Sport, '06 Aliante Carbon Twin-Flex, '08 Aliante Carbon Twin-Flex (this was a warranty replacement saddle for an '07 Aliante Carbon Twin-Flex that I broke the carbon rails).

I thought the Vitesse was a lady's model saddle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
SwiftSolo said:
I have maybe 9 or 10 saddles hanging on the wall in my garage ranging from $75 to $200. The Arione is by far the most comfortable on long rides for me. A couple of other are good till about 60 miles and then become intolerable.

It is true that it will wear out in about 2000 miles.

+1. I love my Arione, and I've tried many other saddles before. I don't know which part of the Arione you think is curved because it's about as flat as can be. I have nearly 3K miles on my Arione, and I don't see any indication of it wearing out. I'll see on my next century whether it feels any different than my last century last year.
 

·
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined
·
631 Posts
+1 Brooks. Looking at them it appears to people that you are sitting on a block of wood (hard, brown). Break in period was a little dicey. I still don't know if I broke in the saddle or if my body broke in to the saddle. In a 100 miles everything can break down - seat, butt, legs, feet, arms, mental acuity. My brooks isn't as comfortable at 100 miles as when the ride was started -- many miles equals a good case of butt-osis. But, I still feel I could ride a while longer if need be.

Saddles are very personal things. You'll just have to go out and see what works for you: Leather Brooks, Fizik, Bontrager, shaped granite, or giant mush-ball. You'll find one that works, and when you do, you will be singing the praises of your perfect selection on this board.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top