Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through so many saddles over the years that I've lost count. Most "racing" saddles are too narrow or firm for me, but I don't need or want a big cushy sofa either. I had been riding Brooks B17s the past couple of years, but took a gamble on a Fizik Aliante because I could get it for half price. The Aliante was just as comfortable for me as the B17 at less than half the weight, so I recently bought a Fizik Vitesse. The Vitesse is marketed in the US as a women's saddle, but as a universal or unisex saddle in Europe, mainly because it is wider than most. The Vitesse is nearly as light as the Aliante but more comfortable for me because of its width.

So, if you're like me and have "wide sit bones" -- translation, a big butt -- you might want to try the Vitesse. It's the most comfortable saddle I have used, and have tried many many saddles over the years. It is comparable in shape to a San Marco Regal, but slightly longer and wider, with a little more padding, and longer rails.

My only gripe with the Fizik saddles is their "microtex" cover is very easy to rip or tear, so you have to be very careful not to lean you bike against anything (such as a brick wall) or let it fall on the ground. You can occasionally find Vitesse saddles with leather covers, however.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I’ve used both the Vitesse and the Regal. I don’t think the Vitesse is anything like the Regal in that, the “wings” of the Regal drop down sharply thus making it a “wide” narrow saddle. It’s got a domed shape that doesn’t give my sit-bones enough support.

Now the Vitesse, that’s the only saddle for me (at least until my Brooks Swift arrives). The Vitesse has a wide and flat rear and was key in helping me understand why I was so uncomfortable with other saddles. My only gripe with the Vitesse is that the middle and nose of the saddle are a bit too wide for extended periods in the drops. Riding upright, though, it reeks of all day goodness.

Des

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
i just bought a Vitesse. It looked like a larger version of the fizik gobi so i bought it. this thread helps, i thought it looked like a San Marcos Regal too. i sold the regal because unless i was spinning a high cadence (for me) i found it uncomfortable. haven't had a chance to ride it. cool, wide and flat just like i need.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you can stand the present exchange rate, you can also get some of their models made with custom colours! The Pavve CP3 on my Gunnar is red and yellow, to match the frame, and has been great for my rear end for the past 2-odd years and a fair mileage. Often, the ones on the website can be ordered with 'scuff guards' - plastic shields strategically placed where saddles end up as first point of contact when the bike's leant against a wall.

Unfortunately, the Euro to US$ is pretty shabby right now, and a new Arione in orange and black to match my Bob Jackson would be around $200. The custom jobs are made in Italy, though order-able off a website with a US connection.

Even if you don't custom order, the Fizik website - save you looking - http://www.fizik.it/shop.aspx not only has photos of their saddles, they also have dimensioned drawings of all models so you can figure if what you fancy is 'wide', 'narrow' or near what you need. Something other component manufacturers could offer...

Regards

Dereck

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I've been a Fizik Vitesse user for several years now. By a wide margin it's been the most comfortable saddle I've ever used...a list that includes the vaunted B17 and old Ideales. My butt still suffers whenever I pass the Three Hour mark, but I honestly wonder if the true epic riders are actually still comfy on their saddles after 8+ hours, or if they're either fibbing or benumbed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
I've been a Fizik Vitesse user for several years now. By a wide margin it's been the most comfortable saddle I've ever used...a list that includes the vaunted B17 and old Ideales. My butt still suffers whenever I pass the Three Hour mark, but I honestly wonder if the true epic riders are actually still comfy on their saddles after 8+ hours, or if they're either fibbing or benumbed.

Mapei: best avatar I‘ve seen all day.

I’ve ridden the Vitesse for 7 hours with no numbness in the peri-Alison (My Aim is True) area, or pain in the sit-bones. Just painful friction at the top of the thighs from its wide middle and nose.

Des

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. As for you being able to continue to sit pretty on your saddle after seven hours, I sincerely salute you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.