Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like sports and play all types, but here's a question that comes to mind.

Would you pay money to watch women's sports, why and which ones.

I definitely think women's tennis is rad. Those girls are hammering the ball and play a style that is more like it used to be (fewer aces and more tactical).

On the other hand, what's the purpose of the WNBA. I play hoops and the level of athletism in women's hoops in unbearable to watch. They are so heavy footed and weak.

Now I've played hoops with ladies in the WNBA and they are super nice people and good players, but in our game they are lower middle to low in ability to impact our games. One was Big West Player of the year and an All American, but she was my height, 6'2" (she plays forward) and in men's hoops I'm a point guard.

I like gymnastics, so there's another one I'd pay to see and maybe ice skating. But why golf and the WNBA? People must be paying to see it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
WNBA=Horrible

I Have not played against any WNBA players but have played against A couple of girls who started for a large D-1 school. I played in high school and maybe could have played some at a Junior College. I also am a point guard. Two things 1. they are extremley slow. 2. fundamentals are very weak.( almost more like a thought process versus instinct and react. One other side note is they play a really foul heavy game too. WNBA is awful if you enjoy watching pure basketball. But I think the NBA is a lot worse now too. College ball is still alittle pure and fun to watch. I would pay to watch womens Tennis, gymnastics and the golf is not that bad. Most women golfers have very pretty swings with a nice delay(they don't swing with their arms and try to kill it.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
I think in a few years there will be minimal controversy regarding woman's verses men's sports. If you boil it down and view it for what it is, there is not a lot of attraction to some sports from a viewer perspective. You hit on a couple that I would agree are not appealing.

The woman sports that I really enjoy watching are Tennis and Soccer. I am not a big fan of any sport that requires a Judge to determine the winner, ie. Bullriding, Gymnastics, Ice Skating, etc.

If you turn your original question around why would anyone watch college football since it is inferior to the NFL. I think it just becomes a matter of whether the league that performs at a lower level is still enjoyable for you to watch. That includes woman leagues

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Why would anyone want to watch cycling? That's a Yeeropeean sport.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I would pay to watch women's beach volleyball.

I'm not a good example, because I don't go to many sporting events. I wouldn't pay for a lot of men's sports, because it's too expensive. However, if people are interested in paying to watch something like the WNBA, more power to them. For most people, sports, for men or women, are much more entertainment than anything else. The sporting purists may not like it, but who cares? How many people at a baseball game are actually scoring it in their programs? Not many.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
mohair_chair said:

I'm not a good example, because I don't go to many sporting events. I wouldn't pay for a lot of men's sports, because it's too expensive. However, if people are interested in paying to watch something like the WNBA, more power to them. For most people, sports, for men or women, are much more entertainment than anything else. The sporting purists may not like it, but who cares? How many people at a baseball game are actually scoring it in their programs? Not many.
Is it just me or does her top not match her bottom. There is nothing uglier than red and orange together. What a skank.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't touch my college sports buddy!

College sport has some advantages to pro that I prefer. It's a lot less about the player, than the team and the talent is more distributed. It's a lot about school pride with a natural fan base, whereas there is no way pro games are as crazy as college games.

College hoops is so much more pure than pro that it's not even funny. Some teams like UCLA have great players and young men who are very well spoken.

I'm not really a fan of pro sports. The money is too crazy, the egos overriding the team and the style just not very interesting (two man game, drive and kick). Look at Euro ball, that's much better in terms of purist hoops and they are now kicking the US's butt in hoops and the NBA is drafting tons of Euro imports.

Love watching women's tennis though. Maria is the bomb.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
mohair_chair said:

I'd pay to be reincarnated as that woman's bikini bottom. ;)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bill105 said:
you knew this was coming
Is that the flaming dude from that House design show?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Women's tennis is better to watch than men's. The volleys are longer.

WNBA is awful. NBA would be better if they could solve the intentional fouling problem at the end of close games. In football at least they can run the clock out so the game finally ends.

I seldom watch many pro sports becasue I would rather participate than watch. I usually take a bike ride, weather permitting, when NFL games are on.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I prefer WNBA over the NBA/NCAA freak show

Blame it on age--I learned the game when people used to pass the ball, there was controversy over whether you should deviate from the two-hand set shot and the refs actually blew the whistle for traveling. I was a fairly intense fan for years, but I can barely watch a pro or major college game anymore. It's a showcase for amazing athletes, but they've made so many concessions to boost scoring that it hardly looks like basketball anymore. Women don't have nearly the ability, but they play by the rules.
Or, hell, maybe I'm just to slow to follow the men. But I haven't watched a full game in years.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
I'm with you

"I seldom watch many pro sports becasue I would rather participate than watch. I usually take a bike ride, weather permitting, when NFL games are on"

My neighbor has season tickets to the Cinti Bengals. He's offered to take me to the games time and time again. My theory is this: If the weather is lousy, I'll watch (maybe) in my home, if the weather is nice, I'd rather be on my bike or with the family outside.

I hate the NBA. WNBA...why is it on?? I like College basketball but....I know this is weird...but I never watch the first half. Why watch? All the fun is at the end. Besides, I never watch a game until March madness. Baseball....it's slow, but I kind of enjoy the intricacies of the game. I love going to the games. I'll go to about 4 or 5 Cinti. Reds games per year. My kids love it.

Womens' sports: I love watching my daughters compete in anything. I get more excited at my 13 year olds' soccer game than anything. I do enjoy watching women's soccer with my daughter in the room. Other womens' sports?? Just shoot me. I hate the winter olympics concentration on figure skating. Ok...Ok....cute girls in tight outfits is a good thing, but the actual competition - NOT. Same goes for gymanstic but eliminate the sex appeal. All those girls look like 12 year old boys.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Well, there's not a pro version of it, but I think volleyball is a great sport to watch (one of my summer Olympic faves) and the women's game is just as good as the men's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts