Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, a good day for Disco, 2 guys on the podium with Hoste and Hincapie in 3rd, but yes, Tom Boonen wins the RVV 2 times in a row. He easily outsprints Hoste at the end of the race. Hard race out there today, hard fought, and of course it got whittled down to the strongest guys out there, who were Hoste and Boonen. I feel for PVP though, as he was there, but just not strong enough, and with little or no help, he got the bone in this one. There is always next week for PR.

Can we officially call the "curse" of the rainbow jersey over and done with now that Boonen has won RVV 2 times in a row? The bigger question is; can anyone stop this guy this year? He appears to be winning at will, when and if he wants to win, he does, at least for the Classics. He's scary strong right now.

GW is next up on the schedule for mid week. Could be another take down, drag down fight.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
magnolialover said:
Ah, a good day for Disco, 2 guys on the podium with Hoste and Hincapie in 3rd, but yes, Tom Boonen wins the RVV 2 times in a row. He easily outsprints Hoste at the end of the race. Hard race out there today, hard fought, and of course it got whittled down to the strongest guys out there, who were Hoste and Boonen. I feel for PVP though, as he was there, but just not strong enough, and with little or no help, he got the bone in this one. There is always next week for PR.

Can we officially call the "curse" of the rainbow jersey over and done with now that Boonen has won RVV 2 times in a row? The bigger question is; can anyone stop this guy this year? He appears to be winning at will, when and if he wants to win, he does, at least for the Classics. He's scary strong right now.

GW is next up on the schedule for mid week. Could be another take down, drag down fight.

What curse? Nice to see Hoste and Hincapie get 2 and 3 because doing that behind Boonen right now ain't no shame. Boonen is a monster. I want to see Hincapie win something this spring but I don't know how he'll do it against Boonen. ...or Hoste.
PVP seems like he might be in hell right now. Ballan wasn't quite as good as I think most of us expected he'd be. Frank VDB?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Frank VDB got his arse handed to him early on in the hillzone. I bet Ivanov doesn't feel too good now either, he came close to coming back but it was a chasse-patat against the Quick Steps.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
aahh, but they still love VDB in belge. If you go to the official unibet.com team site, you'll see he is the posterboy. Every time I see him race now, I just say, " hhhmmm, so this is what happens to a racer when they DON'T use epo.
Back to the ronde, from following the race on cyclingnews.com, it seemed pretty plain. Hoste was going for second place from the 20k to go mark. If Disco really wanted to win, he would have sat on boonen's wheel from the instant the break went.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
aahh, but they still love VDB in belge. If you go to the official unibet.com team site, you'll see he is the posterboy. Every time I see him race now, I just say, " hhhmmm, so this is what happens to a racer when they DON'T use epo.
Back to the ronde, from following the race on cyclingnews.com, it seemed pretty plain. Hoste was going for second place from the 20k to go mark. If Disco really wanted to win, he would have sat on boonen's wheel from the instant the break went.
Flanders loves their martyrs (that's how his fans see it) as much as their heroes, it's the catholic tradition and the history of being ruled by strangers but never truely yielding I suppose. It's different from the French who like their losers because at least that's something they can relate to. ;)

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
poor guy. what was he, something like 17 seconds away from catching the back of the front runners after +/-13 kms chasing (after having to get off his bike and walk). so close, yet so far away. imagine what he could have done if he wa placed better on the koppenberg.

rogger said:
I bet Ivanov doesn't feel too good now either, he came close to coming back but it was a chasse-patat against the Quick Steps.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
botto said:
poor guy. what was he, something like 17 seconds away from catching the back of the front runners after +/-13 kms chasing (after having to get off his bike and walk). so close, yet so far away. imagine what he could have done if he wa placed better on the koppenberg.
The Koppenberg really was the watershed when Flecha turned his frontwheel nearly 90 degrees and everyone behind him fell still, I guess Ivanov was one of the victims but it was a bit hard to follow without any other camera than the fixed one on the top of the climb. On Sporza they said that there was someting like two tire widths of space between the cobbles at some places, maybe they should recobble it and this time not botch it.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
was that Flecha? I thought it was a FDjeux rider (saw someone in white flip perpendicular to the peloton).

Did you watch the after the race session in the portacabin Sporza studio? Ol' George didn't look very pleased on the podium, and he didn't sound very pleased on the show. Maybe he's finaly giving up the Mr Nice Guy gig? Or maybe he realizes that Tommeke B and maybe even Leif are a notch ahead of him right now :rolleyes:

rogger said:
The Koppenberg really was the watershed when Flecha turned his frontwheel nearly 90 degrees and everyone behind him fell still, I guess Ivanov was one of the victims but it was a bit hard to follow without any other camera than the fixed one on the top of the climb. On Sporza they said that there was someting like two tire widths of space between the cobbles at some places, maybe they should recobble it and this time not botch it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
rogger said:
On Sporza they said that there was someting like two tire widths of space between the cobbles at some places, maybe they should recobble it and this time not botch it.
They didn't botch it. Rain (runoff on a 22% slope has some erosive properties), Siberian "blasts" of winds, and ice cause destruction of cobbled roads over the course of a few winters. The Koppenberg is how it should be.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
euro-trash said:
They didn't botch it. Rain (runoff on a 22% slope has some erosive properties), Siberian "blasts" of winds, and ice cause destruction of cobbled roads over the course of a few winters. The Koppenberg is how it should be.
When they recobbled it, they left out the drain that was there before. Without a drain erosion happens a lot quicker. Leaving out something as essential as that qualifies as botching in my book.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
botto said:
was that Flecha? I thought it was a FDjeux rider (saw someone in white flip perpendicular to the peloton).

Did you watch the after the race session in the portacabin Sporza studio? Ol' George didn't look very pleased on the podium, and he didn't sound very pleased on the show. Maybe he's finaly giving up the Mr Nice Guy gig? Or maybe he realizes that Tommeke B and maybe even Leif are a notch ahead of him right now :rolleyes:
I thought it was a Rabo and Flecha was the only one there, but I could be wrong. I didn't watch the Portacabin thing, I popped out to the Albert Hein to fetch "dinner".

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
zeker weten!

rogger said:
Leaving out something as essential as that qualifies as botching in my book.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
euro-trash said:

Yeah doesn't sound like a botch job to me either. More like ancient road technology in the harshest conditions. ...and from what I understand that "road" is generally only used by tractors..

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
maybe you're right. i kept falling in and out of sleep (love the narcotic lula-bye sound of the motorcycles). missed hammonds crash (sounded pretty nasty) but did manage to wake up to cacth Boonens jump, and pretty much kept awake for the last 72 KM. :)

eet smakelijk ;)

rogger said:
I thought it was a Rabo and Flecha was the only one there, but I could be wrong. I didn't watch the Portacabin thing, I popped out to the Albert Hein to fetch "dinner".

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
rogger said:
When they recobbled it, they left out the drain that was there before. Without a drain erosion happens a lot quicker. Leaving out something as essential as that qualifies as botching in my book.
I don't know the specifics of that missing essential drain but whether they botched the job or not it's still the Ronde Van Vlaanderen which is an is what it is propostion if you know what I mean. It's not like this is the first time that this sort of thing has happened on the Koppenberg.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
rocco said:
I don't know the specifics of that missing essential drain but whether they botched the job or not it's still the Ronde Van Vlaanderen which is an is what it is propostion if you know what I mean.
They were lucky it was dry today, had it been wet there would have a lot of noise about it and the Koppenberg would probably not be a part of the Ronde for some years to come.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
rogger said:
They were lucky it was dry today, had it been wet there would have a lot of noise about it and the Koppenberg would probably not be a part of the Ronde for some years to come.

Perhaps, but there's nothing all that unprecedented about the situation. Pretty much everything that could happen regarding the Koppenberg has already happened at least once, right?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Having ridden up the Koppenberg a few times, it's not usually the surface that gets you, but the mud on the road from the spectators walking up the sides - you are seated in your lowest gear trying to get some purchase on the rear wheel and if it starts slipping, you've either got the choice of falling over or turning across the hill to get some purchase. The drain is still there on the right side, but it's usually full of mud and leaves.

Dominant race from Quickstep - It was obvious from the pictures of Boonen talking to Hoste in the last km, that Hoste was spent.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
don't know what pictures you're talking about. while i didn't see their faces (the TV cameras were from above, behind, and the side) hoste looked reasonably OK. if anything, he was the one who looked more supple on the last climb/s.

Monty Dog said:
It was obvious from the pictures of Boonen talking to Hoste in the last km, that Hoste was spent.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Disco's had a lot of "great days." Time for a win.

Look I love Boonen. I think he is the "Great One" of his generation. We may be looking at an uprecedented back-to-back-to-back-to-back 4 Flandrian Classic wins from this guy. This is great for cycling and it's wonderful to see a wunderkind to come to fruition. Marvelous.

BUT.... can someone tell me why Leif Hoste worked so hard with Boonen in the breakaway???

Any halfwit knows Boonen can cream ANYONE this side of Petacchi in a sprint no matter the bunch. A one-on-one scenario is absolutely retarded. Hoste worked with TB for like 40k -hard(!)- and then only started playing games in the final K. They had a minute 45 seconds why in the hell didn't he just glue himself to B in the final 2k? At least? Hell 5k? I know TB would have pasted Hoste no matter who lead out in the final K but c'mon if you're going to give yourself half a chance you got to make TB do ALL the work don't you?

Hincapie had great legs today and if the post inteview was any indication Hoste's attack which made the final selection was purely an impulse on Hofste's part. Nothing tactical about it. When he saw the only guy with him was TB why did he then work like a slave with him? It would have made sense if he was going to force TB to wear himself out but good lord that sure didn't happen. Did he think for a moment that he could beat Boonen?

Disco had the two strongest guys in the race other than TB and I think they blew it tactically. Really. George and Leif were better than Bettini and Pozzato. I don't know if TB could have been beaten in the end, he is that great, but I think Disco pissed away their only hopes at victory. 2nd and 3rd are fine but they played their hand poorly. And let's face it. Disco is all about 2nd and 3rd in the Flandrian classics. It's a shame.

Sez Sintesi anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts