Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debated on whether or not to put this post in apparel, but it's not really a specific apparel question. It's more of a philosophical and preference question/discussion.

Why do you think the "loud" race oriented kits are so popular among a strong % of the riders in cycling clubs? I know some great folks who wear some loud stuff, covered in illustrations or logos. I assume many of you do also. It's not my thing personally, but to each their own. I'm just curious what those who choose loud stuff like about it. Some folks seem to delight in outdoing themselves with their wild kits over time.

It's interesting to see a very conservatively dressed rider drive up after work and come out in a lime green and purple kit, with flames.

·
Token Sprinter
644 Posts
I ride in my race team kit almost all the time. It's not overly loud, but even if it was I would still wear it. To be honest though, the main reason is because its all I have really. When I'm spending $100+ on kit every year it doesn't leave a whole lot of room in the budget to justify spending more money on clothes, especially when after a few years I gathered enough kit to last a week without wearing one twice. I know a lot of the guys I ride with are in the same boat.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
If I like something and it fits my safety criteria, i.e., it's not going to make me the proverbial invisible bicyclist, I'll get it whether it's subtle, garish or in-between. If there happens to be a smattering of logos, so be it. Why be so serious?

I grew up in a family and town that liked to be fashionable. I was a hair more conservative than the people I hung around with, but not by much. I gotta say, though, that the kits I've been seeing during this year's Spring Classics are pretty ugly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
my jersey has no less than 18 separate logos on it. and two big fat stripes down the back.

I'll never be fastest, but I'm still in the running for best-dressed.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
It's loud so you can see if the rider up the road is a team mate or not. Garish kits often mean cars should see us a little better, too.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My take on "flashy" kit; I like simple well constructed cycling kits. I have a few fun kits for week night riding when it comes time for it.

Iron Man
Captain America
Tron skinsuit
Yowapedal Sohoku Cyclng kit

The fit isn't that great in the kits above, which is why i keep rides to about 25 miles in them. For long rides a well fitted castelli kit is what i like.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wanted to ask the question to seek understanding from cyclists point of view on the loud kits. The visibility thing and the "I wear my race kits, and don't want to spend a lot more money on kits thing" seem to make a lot of sense to me. The other thing is just good ole freedom of choice - I get that.

But, it's also interesting talking to members of the non-cycling public. Our kits seem to help create an "us and them" mentality. A few of the folks in my cycling club have been dressing down for their solo rides. Plain kits or even "commuting wear" A few are commuters and go between spandex cycling gear and more baggie type touring gear, with possibly a backpack. Anecdotally, we've all felt that when we "dress down" we are getting more courtesy from drivers, even more friendliness from walkers, joggers and folks out in neighborhoods. One guy has almost done a study on the issue. He feels strongly we can effect a communities view by what we wear.

I tried the slim fit baggie cycling shorts for a while, but the comfort vs. lycra is noticeably inferior, so I'm back to lycra full time.

I'm not really so concerned about what others think from a fashion choice perspective. My interest is really about what is going to make us a little safer out there (and comfortable).

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I wanted to ask the question to seek understanding from cyclists point of view on the loud kits. The visibility thing and the "I wear my race kits, and don't want to spend a lot more money on kits thing" seem to make a lot of sense to me. The other thing is just good ole freedom of choice - I get that.
If you get it then why are you asking?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you get it then why are you asking?
I get it now, after asking. That is what I meant. I had never really asked anyone for the cyclists point of view on the loud kits.

Why so snippy or smart aleck in your question? Or am I misreading your tone?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've found that regardless of how subdued or garish my kit is, motorist will treat me with respect if I do the same with them...i.e. move out of their way.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I receive adequate positive feedback from many non-cyclists when dressed in standard race kit.

it's more about how you conduct yourself on the bike, not how you look.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.