Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice would be welcomed:
My company have just started the Cycle to work scheme and I would like to buy a bike. I used to have a Specialized Sirrus which I cycled every day for 4 years before it and a bit of me was squashed by a scaffolding lorry. I am in a dilema over what bike to get next, but have narrowed it down to the following:

Giant FCR C - Bike shop says can do a '08 at £950
Ridgeback 25th Anniversary Edition - Looks nice but as rare as rocking horse poo
Kona PhD - Not sure seems to be a bit of a love hate thing review wise.
Specialized Sirrus Comp - Not sure I like the look
Marin Mill Valley - Unknown ground!!!

My problem is that my LBS can get hold of none of these bikes so I will be buying off the internet and also virtually blind. Has anybody got experience of these bikes. I know it would be crazy to buy with out riding first but I'm Joe Average so sizing is not too much of a worry.

My ride to work is a 20 mile round trip using a mix of road and cycle paths.

Any thought or opinions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I got my Giant FCR 3w about 2 months ago, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I added Shimano M424 Pedals and some bull horns because I liked the look and wanted another hand position. I commute between 8-16 miles a day (depending on my route) and ride about 20-40 miles on the weekends. I'm very comfortable on the bike.

My cables stretched a little in the first 50 miles, but the kind folks here taught me how to fix that without needing to take it to the LBS for something so simple. It rides like a champ now. No complaints whatsoever.

A week or two after I got it, I wondered if I should have gotten a model with drop bars (like the OCR 3). After riding another road bike with drops, I had absolutely no more drop bar envy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.