Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My choices for my flat bar CITY bike:
Buy a used late 80's steel frame all Shimano 600 bike and put new stem and bars on it, plus fix it up here and there...OR....take a cheap Trek Hybrid (2001) that I have and spend 200-300 bucks replacing mediocre parts with better ones...
What do you think?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
jimimidi said:
Buy a used late 80's steel frame all Shimano 600 bike and put new stem and bars on it, plus fix it up here and there...OR....take a cheap Trek Hybrid (2001) that I have and spend 200-300 bucks replacing mediocre parts with better ones...
What do you think?
the former
i'm still racing on my 600!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Specialized Allez Epic Pro with M2 aluminum tubing
Existing Shimano 600 8 speed
Kinesis Carbon Fork with Aheadset
Profile Stem
Mavic Open 4 CD 32 spokes laced to 600 hubs
Shimano Flat Bar road shifters
Standard 2 finger brake levers
Shimano SPD pedals
Specialized Wide Boy flat bars cut to size

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Peugeot is a 1972 UE8, which is the touring version of the UO8. I removed the fenders, rack, dynamo and lights. The bell which I mounted on the handlebar is the original French bell which was mounted on the stem.

Rims are steel Rigida, 700c. Notice that I run only one chainring - a 44 tooth. I swapped out the 14-24T freewheel for a 14-28T. So now its a five-speed. Works for me. :)

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Rims are steel Rigida, 700c. Notice that I run only one chainring - a 44 tooth. I swapped out the 14-24T freewheel for a 14-28T. So now its a five-speed. Works for me. :)
.[/QUOTE]

Very nice Peugeot. Dont know which I like better ~ the bike or the wooden bike stand!

They're both quite nice:D

·
Banned
656 Posts
jimimidi said:
What do you think?
And what will you be doing w/ this bike? How many miles/day, grade, etc?

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Im hijacking this old thread...sorry!!

Alright 'igor 441' you have piq'ed my interest here. "I want that bike stand!!.....give it to me!!! :D :D

No seriously, I could definitely use something like that, and thanks to your pic I'm going to build one just like it. There are a lot of times when I need something to just simply hold my bike up without having to clamp it to one of my metal, off the floor bike stands I have. (I have two) Your's looks like a cool set-up! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
This bike stand is made from scrap lumber that I found in the neighborhood. Basically, I used the 1 x 4s from a discarded pallet. I made one stand for each of my bikes, customizing the width for each different size tire. The design was inspired by commercially made (but universal) metal stands I saw at a LBS in Los Angeles. I didn't want to pay the price (about $25 each) so I nailed up the wooden stands that you see. I made one for each of these bikes:

1970 Motobecane folder
1972 Peugeot
1990 Schwinn Frontier
2001 Trek 4300
2003 Fuji Absolute

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
just curious........

What did you use for the vertical spine? I would assume it's the same width as the tire, or close, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The vertical spine is cut from a piece of 2 x 4. Make the width of the spine a bit over the tire width. Some working clearance is needed, and the wood may be a little warped. There is a small "toe" piece in front, the same width. The toe can be cut on an angle so the bike can roll into the stand easily, but this is not critical. You can always roll or lift the bike over a blunt toe piece. Since the photo was taken, I have painted the stand a darker color, black would look best, imho.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Thanks for the info. You have inspired me. I was thinking about sanding it all down, staining it, and brushing on some clear polyurethane to protect it when cleaning my chain.
At least it sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks again "igor"

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
Take the hybrid and make it into a singlespeed. Spend as little money as possible.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

https://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/fixmeup.php
What he said! Except I used a mountain bike.

It gets slicks for commuting if I am not too lazy to change tires.

I have maybe a net total of $25.00 invested in this bike. The frame was a freeby from a junk pile. I stripped the drivetrain and sold the parts on ebay. Most of the parts were either salvaged, or things that I had laying around from other bike builds. It is amazing how a part that you HATE on one bike will be just the ticket on another. Take for example the riser bar and grips. I didn't like the riser on my Fuel so I replaced it a flat bar and just hung onto the riser for a few years. Turns out that I can get my positioning just right with them on the C'dale. And the extra width gives me more leverage when climbing. Same with the grips. They felt to fat and cushy on the fully suspended Fuel, but offer just a touch of comfort on the rigid C'dale.

The only parts that I had to put money into were the Singulator ($20..00 on Ebay), the saddle ($20..00 on Ebay), and brake pads ($15.00 at LBS).

SS's are great fun and make awesome commuters.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Yep, Here is my SS MTB Commuter. I am changing the fork to a rigid one very soon!
BTW, the 2.35 Schwalbe Super Moto roll almost as well as my road tires! The bike rolls so easliy without any effort!
I run only 30/34 psi in them on the road.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
jimimidi said:
What do you think?
Doesn't matter. Whatever you do is only going to be a short term solution. Either way you are committing yourself to a life of searching out old bikes and parts to build into various special needs bikes to fill your garage. check out Sheldon Brown's website and see how many bikes he has. It's the equivlent to becoming a cat-lady but without the litter box smell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts