Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the pavement bug has bitten me hard, and I have been itching to put down some miles. I'm a long time MTB'er, and just recently picked up a FLAT BAR road bike...it's a Cannondale Road Warrior 2 that I got a good price on, so I figured I'd try it. Ok, I know that the purists may look down on this, but I have some honest questions that I'd like some unbiased answers to.

Is there any reason why I can't log some serious miles on this thing? I mean, outside of not having drops for a more aerodynamic riding position, is there other major differences between this and a true road bike? I ran my first real ride this past weekend and put about 30 miles on it - with relative ease. It has bar ends which allow for at least one more hand position, and at least coming from a FS MTB, it's super fast and quite effortless to ride.

Am I missing out by not having a "real" road bike? Can you guys help me with some possible reasons to acquire a real road steed to add to my stable - or am I good where I am? Thanks!

·
MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
I had a flat bar road bike for a while. It was my first road bike. The bars were quite a bit below the saddle. When all was said and done, I decided I wanted drop bars, for the different positions. But, I still had a lot of fun rides on that bike.

If you want a more aero position, you can always flip your stem to give you negative rise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just got this same bike recently after returning a Cannondale Synapse 6 road bike. Although the Synapse was a very good road bike, I still could not get used to the brake position and my body's position during rides. I still find the flat bar to be most comfortable especially for just fitness and casual riding with my family. The Road Warrior 2 is definitely no slouch in speed although it is not the same as a true road bike. For my type of riding, which is just to get in shape and ride with family and friends, this bike is more than adequate. Hope this helps. Have fun and keep on riding ....

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty much into fitness riding as well - however, I'd like to start putting some real miles on it. Maybe even with one of the local riding crews (we have a few). Am I going to have trouble keeping up with more aero-specific road rides, even if I'm in good "cycling shape"?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I dont think so. This bike comes with road components (Shimano Tiagra) and is geared toward road rather than mountain biking. Since you are in good "cycling shape" you should be able to keep up with the group easily. The frame on this bike is very well made and the tires and rims are well suited for easy to some hard riding. Good luck and remember above all "HAVE FUN".....keep on riding ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.