Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at flat bar road bike. I used to ride mountain bikes and before that rode motocross, as such I like the upright position that comes from a flat bar bike. I have a standard curved handle road bike (a Trek Pilot 2.1) but, I just can't get used to the bent over positon

So, I am wondering if anyone has any advice? Have been looking at the Marin Highway One, which has a Carbon Frame. Wondering if I am going to give up too much speed with this type of bike.

Thanks!

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
Just get a new stem for your 2.1 that raises the bars. That would be a lot cheaper. I have seen flatbar road bikes that have more saddle to bar drop than many of my bikes. It is not the bar but how high you get the bars.

Or you could get a really high upjutter stem and put a flat riser bar on your current bike. I don't think you need a whole new bike, unless you just want one.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I hope that works out for you. I have a flatbar on my mountain bike, and it is
fine in the woods. But any extended road ride starts to bother my wrists\
hands\arms. You're not moving around much on the road and any slight
problem is accentuated. I find road bars offer a much wider range of hand
positions, also allowing the upper body variety of position which is much more
important because you don't move around as much on the road like MTB.

· Registered
830 Posts
brianmcg said:
Just get a new stem for your 2.1 that raises the bars. That would be a lot cheaper. I have seen flatbar road bikes that have more saddle to bar drop than many of my bikes. It is not the bar but how high you get the bars.

Or you could get a really high upjutter stem and put a flat riser bar on your current bike. I don't think you need a whole new bike, unless you just want one.
+1 on what brian says.

I got a tall stem from bikewagon on ebay a while back that might work for ya, if he still has 'em. It was a 160mm x 35 deg kore stem, which adds ~3.25" height with ~same reach as a 105 x 6 stem. (I'm not affiliated with this guy, just happy customer). If you contact him, he may still have some.

I plan on using it on a monster cross bicycle w/ on-one midge bars. I also find the midge type of bars much more comfortable on my hands, wrists & shoulders than a 'standard' road bar. The different hand positions of a road type bar is nice on long rides compared to a flat bar.

another alternative is to try one of those stem extenders, which will do about the same thing as the stem I'm talking about in terms of max height, but would be more adjustable. they're fugly though :rolleyes:

· Registered
8,000 Posts
comanche1680 said:
I am looking at flat bar road bike. I used to ride mountain bikes and before that rode motocross, as such I like the upright position that comes from a flat bar bike. I have a standard curved handle road bike (a Trek Pilot 2.1) but, I just can't get used to the bent over positon

So, I am wondering if anyone has any advice? Have been looking at the Marin Highway One, which has a Carbon Frame. Wondering if I am going to give up too much speed with this type of bike.

Thanks!
Just convert your. You can get FB shifters, brakes and a MTB flat bar with a stem. Bingo!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.