Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a road bike with tradititonal drop bars. I was thinking because i ride on the hoods most of the time and rarely the tops and almost never the drops, for my next bike purchase i should buy a flat bar road bike. any reason i should stay with drop bars?

·
Registered
147 Posts
big wheel4300 said:
I ride a road bike with tradititonal drop bars. I was thinking because i ride on the hoods most of the time and rarely the tops and almost never the drops, for my next bike purchase i should buy a flat bar road bike. any reason i should stay with drop bars?
...because roadies won't give you any respect...they'll think you're on a hybrid (read: slow).

That said...it depends on your riding style and needs and preferences. Drops will be more efficient and generally more comfortable on long rides (and a bit speedier). Flats give you more slow speed control (my opinion) and can be more forgiving to the neck and upper back. A flatbar with bar ends can give you a variety of hand-holds which can help alleviate pressure issues and boredom.

Personally - I have both. I commute 7 miles on my flatbar road bike and take the drop bar bike out for longer fitness rides. I don''t generally take the flatbar bike on rides over 40 miles, but that's more a cleat placement/pedal issue for me.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Because the orientation of your hands on the flat bar matches the top, not the hoods on the drop bar. The real question is, what do you hope to gain from a flat bar? You have more positions available on a drop bar, and you won't save much if any weight going to a flat bar, not to mention you'll be extremely limited in your bike choice if you only look at flat bar bikes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
big wheel4300 said:
I had the Giant flat bar road bike with the Ultegra/105 mix as a second bike. There was nothing similar about the ride between TCR and my flat bar bike. If the only reason you are switching is because you don't get into the drops, then you should seriously test ride one before buying. I think you will find they are not all that. Mine gathered dust and wound up on Ebay.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Okay, I'm a dummy.

walrus said:
I bought a pair of these, time trial bars last year, haven't put them on my bike yet, probably going to ebay them.
Which way do those bars go? Would the rider be on this side of the bars or the other?
What are they called?

TIA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.