Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question I know flat bars are a no go for UCI races but has anyone been turned away at a race for showing up with a flat bars? Esp for cat 4/5 races?

·
Registered
58 Posts
i doubt you would be turned away for running flat bars in cat 4/5 the rules really only apply if you are winning. plust they allow mtbs, and they have flat bars.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i started on my mtn bike, so you'll be fine. assuming it's a USA Cycling event.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Equipment restrictions such as tire size,flat bars and disk brakes only apply if you race in the UCI catagories. So for most of the larger events, this would apply to the Elite Men, Elite Women, U23 and on the rare occasion the junior races. I also beleive that these rules apply to all catagories for cross nationals. Do remember that bar ends are never allowed.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Almost all fliers for non-Nat and non-USGP races say something about mtbs OK if there are no barend extensions, but FWIW:

Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at
events that select 17-18, U23 and elite riders for international
competition or national teams. All bicycles used in National
Championships (for age 17 and older riders) and NRC races
must comply with the current UCI regulations.

USAC rulebook 1M1(d)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I am cannabilizing my group from my cross bike for a spare bike. I have enough left over mtb parts to kit out the cross bike. I just don't feel like spending the coin right now for another pair of brifters for a bike i only race a few times a year

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Dan0930 said:
Thanks guys. I am cannabilizing my group from my cross bike for a spare bike. I have enough left over mtb parts to kit out the cross bike. I just don't feel like spending the coin right now for another pair of brifters for a bike i only race a few times a year
Sweet. I think flat bar is great for CX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts