Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about a dozen trainer rides on my Specialized Gators, they have developed about a 1/4 inch flat spot along the outer edge. They no longer have a rounded edge. Is there a way to fix this? Is this normal for trainer riding? Am I losing speed since I've increased the amount of tire contacting the pavement?

I have heard of people using separate tire/wheel sets for trainer use and now know why. But I hate to spend more money....

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
You are going to spend more money on a new tire when you eat your tire on the trainer anyways. Have you ever noticed a little pile of black stuff by the trainer when you are done? As for being squared off, all tires do that eventually, you just accelerated the process. Your tire doesn't contact on a tiny patch, the riders weight causes it to flatten to a wider contact patch. I am sure someone will chime in with more details about that.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
After about a dozen trainer rides on my Specialized Gators, they have developed about a 1/4 inch flat spot along the outer edge. They no longer have a rounded edge. Is there a way to fix this? Is this normal for trainer riding? Am I losing speed since I've increased the amount of tire contacting the pavement?
No way to "fix" it - this is how tires wear.

Worn tires are faster than new tires because there is less tread rubber to flex and therefore reduced hysteresis losses.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I just have a cheapo dedicated trainer wheel that I have set to match up with my ride outside wheel.

I have a Vittoria trainer tire on it. It's quiet and has yet to show any sign of wear after 3 yrs of use. There is also zero black dust behind me while riding the trainer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.