Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any solutions? I have really, really flat feet. Zero arch whatsoever, and as a result, the widest part of my foot is the arch. Is there a such thing as a road shoe with very stiff sole made for feet like this? I've been told to look into custom shoes, but I just can't justify dropping $ 3-400 on a pair of shoes. I've been using hiking shoe-style MTB shoes forever out of necessity, but after about 3 hrs or so my feet tend to go numb...probably from the flex in the sole.

The only thing I can think of would be Sidi mega (wide) shoes, but the extra width is in the ball of the foot, and that's not where I need it.

Also, is anyone else out there duckfooted? Who makes pedals with longer than usual spindles to accomodate for folks with heels that naturally want to be inside?

Happy feet = happy rider.

·
Registered
436 Posts
texass4 said:
Anyone have any solutions? I have really, really flat feet. Zero arch whatsoever, and as a result, the widest part of my foot is the arch. Is there a such thing as a road shoe with very stiff sole made for feet like this? I've been told to look into custom shoes, but I just can't justify dropping $ 3-400 on a pair of shoes. I've been using hiking shoe-style MTB shoes forever out of necessity, but after about 3 hrs or so my feet tend to go numb...probably from the flex in the sole.

The only thing I can think of would be Sidi mega (wide) shoes, but the extra width is in the ball of the foot, and that's not where I need it.

Also, is anyone else out there duckfooted? Who makes pedals with longer than usual spindles to accomodate for folks with heels that naturally want to be inside?

Happy feet = happy rider.
http://www.d2customfootwear.com

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Is it causing you specific problems, because....

...I have the same issues, and it doesn't seem to affect my cycling. I assume something's bothering you or you wouldn't have posted, but if you're just concerned about possible future troubles, they might not arise. My size 15 footprint looks like it was made by a piece of plywood, with the toes 6 inches farther apart than the heels, and I don't have any issues at all on the bike. FWIW, I've worked fairly hard at keeping my ankles strong and flexible, with stretches and flexing exercises (easiest workout in the world--just roll your feet around while you're reclined in the La-Z-Boy ). But even when I slack off on those, I don't have problems.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cory: Close, but not really the issue. My sports doc has had me on a program of lower leg/ ankle strengthening and flexibility training since highschool almost 20 years ago. It's simply the shape of my foot that's the problem. I wish I could get a picture for you, but here's the best I can do:

Look at the sole of any sport shoe - nice toebox, wedge-cut shape arch area with progressive support down the inside path of the foot, and a tapered and shaped heel cup. Some allow slightly more room than others, but it's all the same *basic* shape.

Athletic shoes in wider widths: The extra width in the design of these shoes is almost invariably from the toebox to just behind the ball of the foot. At that point, my feet are of average and typical size/width.

Now think of a Birkenstock sole (forget the footbed for the moment): flat as a pancake with no real cushion, but plenty of support. That's more of the general shape my foot needs.

The only way I can think to describe it to those with a somewhat normal foot is imagine pedalling with a nickel-sized ball bearing in your shoes under the center of your arch. Ouch!

I tried several road shoes...specialized BG and a few other similar styles. Because my arch area is just as wide and low as my toes, ball, and heel, the only parts of my foot that make significant contact with the footbed are my heel and the middle of my outer arch. This naturally forces my ankle to roll out and down.

If there were a company who made a MTB/hiking shoe with a super hard road sole, that would probably be just the thing. Sidi mega width shoes have been recommended, but no one stocks them, so I can't try w/o ordering and returning.

Any ideas at all would be appreciated.

djg21: did you even TRY to read my original question?

·
Registered
436 Posts
texass4 said:
djg21: did you even TRY to read my original question?
Yeah. I did.

Sooner or later you'll come to the realization that the price differential is worth it if it means that you can actually ride comfortably. And given that high-end mass-produced shoes are now in the neighborhood of $300-$400, the differential in price isn't altogether unreasonable.

With a foot like you describe, you most likely do need a corrective custom insole, and some type of custom shoe. If you are that opposed to spending the money, you should just get used to being uncomfortable on your bike and stop whining.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
texass4 said:
Sidi mega width shoes have been recommended, but no one stocks them, so I can't try w/o ordering and returning.

Any ideas at all would be appreciated.
I have really flat feet, but my footprints are at least triangular. I definitely recommend getting a shoe that has the least built-in arch you can find. I found the Specialized BG shoes to have much too much, and I can't tolerate the whole built-in wedge business. The only shoes I've tried in the last few years that I really liked were Pearl Izumi and Sidi Mega. I'm off Pearls because they held up so poorly.

I'm just breaking in a set of Megas, and I like them a lot. They're what I've been after, in that they have very little arch support built in. There's a little, but except for the Pearls, as little as I've found in the last five years. They are definitely a lot wider than the standard Sidis, but the width all seems to be at the ball of the foot and forward. If you have a lot of extra width between the ball of the foot and heel, I'm not sure they'd be much help.

FWIW, I sized my Megas by trying on my wife's regular Genius 4s (she has big feet and I have small ones). I could get them on, but my toes were crowded--not in length, just mashed against each other because the toe box is so narrow. So I ordered the same size in Mega (got Genius 5s instead), and they are perfect.

So if you want to consider Megas, go try regular Sidis in the same model. If you find a pair that fits everywhere except a crowded toe box, you're probably good to go with the same size in Mega. If you are having other fit issues (like too tight across the instep), going Mega probably won't help you.

And not to get in the middle of the pushy-shovey you and djg are beginning to have, but I'd say you could do a lot worse than to look into custom shoes. I'm pretty hard to fit, and while I haven't had custom shoes done yet (I considered it a couple of times when my feet were particularly bad), I can say that the custom clothing and bike frame I have were worth every cent I paid. Not only do the clothes fit WAY better, they actually still fit well after gaining or losing weight--not the case with off the rack. And the custom frame, well, I can hardly describe how nice it is. If your shoe-buying life is a nightmare, and I imagine it is--my case isn't as bad as yours from the sound of it, and I've been plenty desperate--then you could improve your life a lot with a custom shoe or two if you can swing the cash.

Can't help you with the duck foot thing, since my feet go the OTHER way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts