Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I do the bob test front my knee at 3 o'clock on the pedal - where does the bob need to line up? with my pedal center? with the tip of my foot?

it is like my cleats are too far forward and I'm not getting any ankling at the bottom of the stroke.

I'm going to move my cleats back some to try to get more of my toes over the pedal.

· Registered
68 Posts
Cleat positioning.

I align my cleats directly below the point where my toes and back section of my feet meet. this is the rolling section of the foot when you go from flat to standing on your toes. I used this position for riding in varying terrains. If I am doing a big climb I tend too move my cleats forward to stress my calves more and create more power. :thumbsup:

· Registered
165 Posts
Does it feel like your not ankling or have you seen this on video of yourself? You may be surprised on how much you ankle seeing yourself pedal on video. If you don't have any pain associated with your current position then don't change it. There is a good chance that if you move your cleats you might not actually ankle anymore than you currently do. You may even ankle less as when you move the cleats rearward you lengthen your pedal stroke and if you are riding with a currently high setup based on your flexibility then your toes will point into the bottom of the stroke even more to keep your knee angle the same. If you really feel the need to ankle more drop the saddle or move it foward.

· Registered
270 Posts
bas said:
when I do the bob test front my knee at 3 o'clock on the pedal - where does the bob need to line up? with my pedal center? with the tip of my foot?

it is like my cleats are too far forward and I'm not getting any ankling at the bottom of the stroke.

I'm going to move my cleats back some to try to get more of my toes over the pedal.
Are you trying to achieve the "knee-over-pedal-spindle" (KOPS) position? If so, then the plumb line from your tibial tuberosity should intersect the pedal axle. Where you position your cleats on the shoe will not make much of a difference as far as KOPS position goes (but it can make a big difference in other things). To get the plumb line over the pedal spindle, you move your saddle fore and aft or use different crank lengths.

FWIW, I think a lot of people have their plumb line intersect aft of the pedal spindle. Mine is about an inch behind.

Here's an interesting article, FYI:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/kops.html
Do with it whatever you will.

· Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
I would second Steve Hogg at cyclingnews.com for cleat position, for a size 9 shoe, about 9mm rear of the ball of your foot so the cleat center lines up with the pedal axle. This reduces the need for your quads to stablize the ankle and leads to having less soreness in the quads. I would also recommend picking up Andy Pruitts book on cycling & medical issues. Then decide what works best for you.

· Registered
270 Posts
capt_phun said:
I would second Steve Hogg at cyclingnews.com for cleat position...
Say, could you please provide a link to the Hogg letter you were referencing? I found several letters related to cleat position but would like to read the specific one to which you were referring. Thanks.

· Registered
1,469 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.