Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

Been riding road fixie and SS MTB for a while now and thought I might switch my road fixie from flat bar to drop bars. Looks awesome enough but then when I road it I feel really quite awkward and wobbly... not to mention everytime I tried to stand and pedal I felt like I might go over the front bars. They were also quite uncomfortably, a lot of weight on my hands makign them quite numb. Is this normal initially and should I just push on? Any advice?

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
chumbox said:
Hey All

Been riding road fixie and SS MTB for a while now and thought I might switch my road fixie from flat bar to drop bars. Looks awesome enough but then when I road it I feel really quite awkward and wobbly... not to mention everytime I tried to stand and pedal I felt like I might go over the front bars. They were also quite uncomfortably, a lot of weight on my hands makign them quite numb. Is this normal initially and should I just push on? Any advice?

Are you riding exclusively in the drops? I ride 95% on the hoods or on the top of the bar and only go into the drops when I need the aero advantage;-) The main reason I like drop bars are the many options for hand placement.

· Registered
409 Posts
I'm the opposite. I'd say I ride 95% in the drops and I try to never use my brake if possible. I rode bullhorns for all of last summer and switching to the drops was awkward at first( and hurt my back for some reason). I guess what I have found is that you can get used to pretty much anything and I love my drops and feel like they have really improved my riding.

· Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
MisterC said:
I'm the opposite. I'd say I ride 95% in the drops and I try to never use my brake if possible. I rode bullhorns for all of last summer and switching to the drops was awkward at first( and hurt my back for some reason). I guess what I have found is that you can get used to pretty much anything and I love my drops and feel like they have really improved my riding.
My back would be a wreck in the drops 95% of the time. I have a history of back problems and I'm also no spring chicken (46). Even a long downhill on the singlespeed in the drops kills me. I live on the edge of the Virginia mountains so I must have brakes, and therefore hoods.

· hello
3,395 Posts
Are you using standard road levers on your drops? Without the hoods to grab onto they may feel awkward, especially when climbing.

· Registered
175 Posts
Don't rotate the bars so far downward. The flats at the bottom of the drop should be level with the ground. In fact you can have them angled a bit upwards too if you want. A lot of posers angle their bars down too much just for the. Also, be sure your stem is height enough. It depends a lot on your arm and leg length, but 1-2 inches below your saddle height is a good place to start, lower if you have long limbs, higher if you have short limbs.

· Registered
863 Posts
VaughnA said:
My back would be a wreck in the drops 95% of the time.

That just means your bars aren't high enough. I was like you, flipped my stem, and now I'm riding in the drops a ton more. It is more comfortable in the drops with the bars higher, than on the hoods with the bars lower, IMO.

· Registered
17 Posts
I think bullhorns are a nice compromise. They provide more hand placement options than flat bars but aren't as hard on a fellow's lower back as the drop bars. Personal preference, I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.