Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
More Miles...
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be getting a flat about every 250-300 miles on average . Does that seem excessive ?

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
LMWEL said:
I seem to be getting a flat about every 250-300 miles on average . Does that seem excessive ?
Hard to say. What are your roads like? Glass, debris, thorns, etc? What kind of tires are you riding? Seems fairly often but who knows?

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Might be worth trying Michi Krylons or Conti Gatorskins....or you just aren't watching the road enough. Do you wear gloves so that you can skim your tires if you suspect you ran over something? and do you inspect your tires post ride to look for debris that will work its way to the tube?

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
LMWEL said:
We all go through bad spells. Look for something in your tires. Check that the tires aren't worn out. Make sure to pump up your tires pre-ride. Stop hitting potholes (if you are). And um, apologize to the bike gods for whatever you did to them.

It'll straighten itself out sooner or later. My roommate and I got 14 flats in under a month. Thankfully, that seems to have ended.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
What is causing your flats? Until you know that, it's impossible to answer the question.

I think you should check how your installing them. It sounds like a mechanical issue such as the tube being pinched. Outside of that try some thick tires such as GP4000, and gatorskin and get away from any lightweight tubes.

·
Banned
428 Posts
When Gatorskins are worn down but before you get to the cords, they'll flat like crazy, just like the OP's.

Little pieces of glass will poke right through the kevlar breaker belt. I think their Vectran belt must be a lot more flat resistant because I've gone right down to the cords on a couple of gp 4000's and 4 seasons and have not had this problem with glass. The only thing flatting these gp's are tiny metal splinters.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
blackjack said:
When Gatorskins are worn down but before you get to the cords, they'll flat like crazy, just like the OP's.

Little pieces of glass will poke right through the kevlar breaker belt. I think their Vectran belt must be a lot more flat resistant because I've gone right down to the cords on a couple of gp 4000's and 4 seasons and have not had this problem with glass. The only thing flatting these gp's are tiny metal splinters.
Do you get those nefarious little curved metal splinters too? What the hell are those things? And why do I keep running over them?!?!?!

OK, I'm done.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
erj549 said:
Do you get those nefarious little curved metal splinters too? What the hell are those things? And why do I keep running over them?!?!?!

OK, I'm done.
The little metal splinters are from radial car tires and are pretty common if folks run their tires bald to expose the metal radial threads.

john

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Flats are inevitable, and caused by a multitude of reasons, but every 250 miles is certainly high without some specific reason such as very dirty/glass covered roads and thin tires and tubes.

john

·
Banned
428 Posts
jmlapoint said:
The little metal splinters are from radial car tires and are pretty common if folks run their tires bald to expose the metal radial threads.

john
I've run a couple of car tires down to the steel where the tread meets the sidewall. WTH was I thinking? Complete stupidity.

·
More Miles...
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More...

A little more info for you . A couple of months ago, during my first metric century, I flatted twice . Three times if you include the failed patch . The first was a pinch flat caused by a fairly large rock . The second was a small puncture, cause unknown . I then replaced my tires, my tubes, and my rim tape . I got Serfas Seca RSs, Bontrager tubes, and adhesive fabric rim tape ( recommended by my LBS ). Everything is properly installed, after all I've been changing bike tires for about 30 years . This most recent flat was the first since everything was replaced . The avg frequency of my flats is off a bit because I got THREE in one day . I was just curious as to how often everyone else flats .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts