Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
They call me 'Mash!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm new here so I thought I would do a short intodution and share a few photos.

My name is Tom and I'm from the central Massachusetts area. I'm 44 years ol and have been riding for most of my life. I took some years off from bicycles to ride motorcycles but after a pretty bad getoff at the track, I'm back to bicycles.

My return to bicycles had me trying a few different styles of bikes to try and find out exactly what I wanted. It started in 2011 once I was healthy enough to ride after the crash. I bought a Trek 8.3DS from my LBS and found that it did the job (got me on a bike and out riding) it really didn't do anything very well. I rode it on and offroad and it seemed to be lacking in both areas. I guess when you buy something that isn't built purpose specific that's what one can expect.

I ened up listing the bike on Craig's list and someone offered me a nearly new Felt F85 road bike on trade. I ened up doing the trade but quickly found that I wasn't a "road" bike kind of guy. I mostly rode mountain bikes in my early adult years and the riding position of the drops didn't really feel comfortable for me. I considered selling the Felt and buying a more road specific hybrid but after the time I spent on the Felt I really wasn't finding anything that compared in terms of weight. After some thought, I decided to do a flatbar conversion on the Felt. It was simple enough but I quickly learned that Shimano mountain bike shifters are not compatible with road bike rear derailluers. Lol. I also learned that I needed "short pull" brake levers to make the brakes feel right.

Anyway, after doing some additional research, I found out what would work, and what wouldn't. I spend a great deal of time sourcing parts that matched the color scheme of the bike and I think the end result turned out pretty good.

Here are a few quick photos of the completed bike.

I have to say, I really liked the Felt. It was semi-light (19.2 LBS), handled well, and was pretty fast. The only problem was that I was getting pretty beat up riding it on the crappy roads in my area. I tried going to a 28c tire to soften it up a bit but the tires didn't really fit very well. :rolleyes: So in an effort to add a little comfort, I decided to sell the Felt and buy a carbon framed bike. I ended up with a 2011 Specialized S Works Crux that I bought on Ebay for short money. Again, I ended up doing a flatbar conversion and sourced some newer Roval Pave' wheels and I was ready to roll.... or so I thought. I bought the bike at the end of last year and with work and the New England weather not really cooperating, I didn't have too many opportunities to ride it. When I finally did get a chance this spring, I realized it was a bit too big. :mad2: So, off to Craig's List with it. That worked out pretty well and I ended up making some money on it.

Here is a few photos of the Crux.

So, after all that...... I ended up with my current ride. A 2012 Ridley Noah RS that I purchased as a leftover and got a GREAT deal. Again, I did a flatbar conversion and the result is quite amazing if I do say so myself. And, I ended up making a little money after selling the parts that I removed. :D

Here is a list of the parts for the conversion and a few photos...

XT rear derailleur
XT shifters
XT SPD pedals
FSA carbon Team Issue crank
Ritchey Superlogic carbon Riser bar
Ritchey Carbon Matrix stem
Specialized grips
Mavic Ksyrium SL Anniversary wheelset
Specialized Espoir 25c tires

Coming this week:
Q Rings front chain rings
TRP R970SL magnesium brake calipers (white to match)
Specialized Romin Evo Expert saddle

The bike weighs 17.2 LBS and should drop a few grams with the parts that are coming this week.

Let me know what you guys think! :thumbsup:

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
That is an excellent way to pick up some knowledge. Very nice rides you have. So what next? Custom Ti framed flat bar road bike?

I actually like building all my bikes from scratch. Now that I have fully used up my allocation of 2 bikes, plus another for the wife, am waiting for the oldest girl to be slightly older so that I can build a bike for her, and, a few yrs after, one more for my little boy.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
I personally prefer drop bars for the extra hand positions, but some Ergon grips are nice on a flatbar style (something you may want to look into?). The wider bars and cheaper components are definitely positives. If you like it, ride it! ;) Those bikes look surprisingly good with flatbars.

Also regarding mtb/road rear derailleurs, they are the same. It's the Dyna-Sys on the newer 10speed mtb rear derailleurs and shifters that isn't compatible... so an older model (non Dyna-Sys) shifter will work with a road rear derailleur.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As a fellow motorcyclist, who had a few get offs on the track I have to ask, 'How's the bike?'

Those are sweet bikes you have. I have found the opposite though. I have a flat-bar bike right now and am looking to add a drop bar bike.

·
They call me 'Mash!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a fellow motorcyclist, who had a few get offs on the track I have to ask, 'How's the bike?'

Those are sweet bikes you have. I have found the opposite though. I have a flat-bar bike right now and am looking to add a drop bar bike.
Thank you.

The motorcycle wasn't really bad but it was totalled. I removed some of the go-fast parts (Corse racing clutch, monobloc calipers, etc) and replaced them with the stock components and sold it. The new owner put a few bucks into it and it's now being used on the street again.

·
They call me 'Mash!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Corse racing clutch? You have a Duck? I love twins. Nice to hear you are ok now and getting back on 2 wheels. That Felt is real looker.
Had..... had a Duc. I've actually have 8 of them. Everything from a Monster 900 S.i.e. to a 1098 Superbike. The bike I crashed was a 749S that I had prepped for the track. The afore mentioned Monster took second place at the Ducati Monster Challenge at the Javits Center in NYC.

The Felt was very cool. My favorite is the Ridley I presently own though.

·
They call me 'Mash!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know, I have been lurking on this forum for a while now before I started posting. I have to say, there is more elitism here than any other forum I've evey been involved with. Most times, the members on the forums try to be polite and help one another but I see more bashing and unmoderated posts here than anywhere.

So thanks for the bash Platypius. Way to show your true character. Where is this bike shop you own? I want to be sure I never go there.

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts
Moderators Note

You know, I have been lurking on this forum for a while now before I started posting. I have to say, there is more elitism here than any other forum I've evey been involved with. Most times, the members on the forums try to be polite and help one another but I see more bashing and unmoderated posts here than anywhere.

So thanks for the bash Platypius. Way to show your true character. Where is this bike shop you own? I want to be sure I never go there.
Note- this is a Lounge joke. Flatbar was the name of another user. Platy- keep the Lounge jokes in the Lounge please.

·
9,790 Posts
Note- this is a Lounge joke. Flatbar was the name of another user. Platy- keep the Lounge jokes in the Lounge please.
Sorry. But ya gotta admit the title was a perfect setup....

·
They call me 'Mash!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so it was a joke. I can certainly appreciate a good joke. However, it appears to be an inside joke that I am not privy to, nor would I be considering I'm a new member. This type of thing is uncalled for and the member should have considered that before posting.

But thaks for the warm welcome Platypuss.

·
9,790 Posts
Oooo! Nice email that just arrived in my inbox....

·
They call me 'Mash!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oooo! Nice email that just arrived in my inbox....
Oh yeah, it was horrible.

This is what I sent....

Why exactly am I a jerk because I want a flatbar roadbike?

Seriously, you act as though I sent you a scalding message with lots of hatefull remarks. I'm sorry that I want to play in your sandbox. Should I just take my ball and go home? Lol

·
9,790 Posts
Oh yeah, it was horrible.

This is what I sent....

Why exactly am I a jerk because I want a flatbar roadbike?

Seriously, you act as though I sent you a scalding message with lots of hatefull remarks. I'm sorry that I want to play in your sandbox. Should I just take my ball and go home? Lol
Email, not PM.

·
They call me 'Mash!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Email, not PM.
Ummm..... I'm sorry, I don't have your email address. You must have me mistaken with someone else.

You know what, I seriously don't need drama from an internet forum. I think I'll find somewhere else to hang my hat.

I'm sure the owner or the forum will be glad to know that you drove off a member. I wonder how many other times this has happened?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Back to the flat bar road bikes. Anyone try the SRAM 10 sp twist grip shifters?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.