Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was, steadily pedalin' North up Charles St in downtown Baltimore. It was 5:10pm. It was warm. I was enjoying myself and ignoring antagonizing drivers. I zig zagged through a grid locked intersection and found my way up onto a sidewalk in order to escape plowing into the back of a parked fedex truck. I heaved the front wheel up over the curb but didn't bring the rear up high enough and it made that terrible terrible sound... the sound of a metal rim slamming into the edge of solid cement, deadened only by a tire and an inner tube. That's when she blew. !!PFsssSSSSsssst!!... (flat).

I walked one block to find a comfy little sit down area where I could easily pop in a new tube. That's when I realized I was right outside of Mark S' office. I whipped out the celly and hit him up: Waving a flatted tube over my head so he could easily spot me 21 floors below on the sidewalk, "Hey mark look out your northern window!". He was just leaving so he came down and we chatted for a few minutes before his wife picked him up for there commute home.

It was a nice ride home. Even though I flatted, it was just all part of another nice ride home. I love riding.

Arby.

Gettin' down to business:

I felt kind of like a small animal on a jungle floor:

Beautiful day..... beautiful:

That Torelli pump is my all-time favorite pump. I got it for $1.00 at a bike swap this summer. It's only 6" long and can get my road tires to a more than adequate psi:

There's Mark S... standing tall like some type of Baltimore Super Hero lol... He works in the tall building over his left shoulder in the picture. Get a load of that big ol' brief case.. what kind of briefs is he packing in that thing??:

Ride more flat less.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
Haha. Nice. I know what you mean though....some days it's almost good to flat. It makes you stop and take in the scene in a spot you might not otherwise. Sometimes pretty good.

My last 2-3 flats have been the exact opposite. But I'm holding out for a good one.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pinch Flat

KendleFox said:
learned something today, as I didnt know you could flat that way. Did the rim make it?

Glad you lived...
Yep, typical pinch flat/snake bite flat. You can do it by having either too little air pressure or too much. I think I had too much, as I usually keep my tires rocked. The rim was fine; I didn't hit the curb hard enough to make my wheel, what I like to call "wonky". :D

Arby

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got it

ChuckUni said:
Haha. Nice. I know what you mean though....some days it's almost good to flat. quote]

Exactly. My last flat was a double banger. I double pinch flatted going off a curb at full speed on the fixed and landed smack dab on a man hole cover that had a HUGE lip. PFFT! PFFT! .... "crap." Instantly flatted.

Regarding your signature: I love Groundhog's Day. I think that's Bill Murry at his best right there.

"people are morons... people like blood sausage."
Arby.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Bad Post, Bad Post, Bad Post.

Arby said:
Yep, typical pinch flat/snake bite flat.
Arby
We don't talk about THEM things here. Next thing you know, everybody is going to be getting THEM and it is now officially YOUR fault (I better check that our spares and CO2s are all good).

BTW how the heck does Mark intend to cycle home in those clothes??? I hope you wiped your dirty hands on his pants leg.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
From that pic I think he needs to get out and ride some more to tan up those arms now that the warm weather has hit. So, do you think he carries one of these in the case just in case things go sour in the courtroom?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's hard to say...

Ridgetop said:
So, do you think he carries one of these in the case just in case things go sour in the courtroom?
I think he probably just carries a few pressed shirts, some briefs... maybe a few pair of white chamois shorts....

All this defensless picking on him is really, quite, fun. I wonder when he'll see this post and defend himself!

Arby.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Actually I think he's more along the lines of Lex Luther

Smart, capable, brilliant and devious! Watch out Arby, he may have tire kryptonite.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Smart, capable, brilliant and devious! Watch out Arby, he may have tire kryptonite.

I should go out of town for the day more often. I was in New York in a meeting all day today and did not see this thread until now. No one ever says nice things like this about me when I am around.

Arby actually called me yesterday just as I was getting ready to take my oversized briefcase down to the front of my building where my wife (who works across the street) was going to pick it up and take it home for me (so that I could take it to New York today). I then went back to the office to do some more work (I wouldn't want anyone to think that I knock off of work around 5:15 p.m.), changed into cycling clothes and rode my bike home.

The amazing thing that Arby did not say in his post was how fast he fixed that flat. He called me before he did anything to fix his flat. I looked out the window of my office, saw him, immediately left the office, took the elevator down to the street and by the time I arrived he had fixed the tire.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
MB1 said:
We don't talk about THEM things here. Next thing you know, everybody is going to be getting THEM and it is now officially YOUR fault (I better check that our spares and CO2s are all good).

BTW how the heck does Mark intend to cycle home in those clothes??? I hope you wiped your dirty hands on his pants leg.
Just so you know, I fixed two of THEM the same day this was first posted after not seeing one for over 10 months in the shop, now THOSE glass ones on the other hand I see all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.