Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. i am a long time bmx and all around cycle fiend. Ive always got bikes on the brain. my latest flea market find was this. A Nishiki Sport. and a huge one at that. I havnt measured it, but it looks like a 64cm at least. WAY to big for me anyhow. But for $10 bucks :) The parts I can salvage off of it make it worth it.

I am hoping to use the parts to build up something ridable. Probably a single speed.... maybe a fixed gear. This is my first dedicated road bike so im still thinking about where i want to go with it.

my main question is.... is fitting the 27" rear wheel into another frame going to be a major hassle? will a bike made for a 700c fit a 27"? I know its only a 4mm difference but i wanna be sure. Ill be searching my ass off after i post this for the answers... but i thought it would be a good chance to share some pics :) thanks guys.

shimano 600 series brakes, sachs 27" wheels (interesting pattern on the braking wall) suntour shifting, adjustable stem, rusty ol rat trap pedals.... definitly usable stuff imo once i find a frame that fits.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i thought. Im hoping to make good use out of the wheels also. tomorrow imma start stripping it down and getting everything clean. Hope I can reuse the fork in a new frame as well.

Love the classic look, so i hope to find another lugged frame.. (just in my size) im 6'4" with a 32" inseam. when i was at my lbs i believe they suggested a 56 or 58cm. ill have to get on some bikes soon, so i can start looking for an old frame.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are the divits to displace heat build-up while braking? im in central texas, so im not really worried about stopping when wet. i honestly cant even remember the last time it rained here.

I actually have my sights set on the specialized langster seattle, or the redline 925...:) but thats for another thread.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I can't access your picture (work filter), but you mentioned a pattern on the braking surface of the rims. Are they shiny like chrome? Chromed steel wheels often had a dimplet or siped surface, to help with braking in the wet -- but they are still really bad at that, compared to aluminum. They're heavy, too.

As Idaho said, you probably can't use them on a 700c bike.

If the hubs are good, it might be worth using them to build new wheels with some inexpensive alloy rims (like Mavic Open Sports, which can be found for about $35 each)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.