Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Fleche Wallonne is one of the great classics. Memorable for me was the win by Cadel Evans in 2010 while wearing the World Champion's kit and doing it honor. Other recent winners include Alejandro Valverde (2006), Phillippe Gilbert (2011) and most recently Joaquin Rodriguez last year.

Cadel will not be in the field this year and Rodriguez is questionable. So it's looking like Gilbert (BMC) and Valverde (Movistar) will be the only returning victors. Some of those lined-up against them include Peter Sagan (Cannondale), Maxime Monfort (RadioShack Leopard Trek), DeGendt and Westra (Vacansoleil-DCM) and a stacked team from Saxo-Tinkoff including Contador, Roche and newly minted Amstel Gold Race winner Kreuziger.

I suspect Saxo want this win. :D

Some others worth watching are Albasini (Orica-GreenEdge), Quintana (Movistar), Ulissi (Lampre-Merida) and Martin (Garmin-Sharp) among others.

Startlist / Startlijst :
Startlist La Flche Wallonne 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

The Map:

The Profile:

Press:
Flèche Wallonne - 2013

Sagan To Take In Fleche Wallone Before Taking A Break | Cyclingnews.com

Contador Confirmed For Flèche Wallonne And Liège-Bastogne-Liège | Cyclingnews.com

Rodriguez Questionable For Flèche Wallonne | Cyclingnews.com

Rodríguez Confirmed For Flèche Wallonne | Cyclingnews.com

Bartoli: The Mur Is The Toughest Climb In The Ardennes | Cyclingnews.com

Fuglsang In Tune For Flèche Wallonne | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Forget the analysis, I can't go with anyone but Gilbert here. This is is probably his favorite and most important race of the year. Others might be the favorites and even make sense, but I'm pulling for him all of the way on this one.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Normally a tactically quite boring race which ends with the break being caught at the bottom of the 1400 m Mur.
Unless your team has the magic potion and the others don't that is.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Normally a tactically quite boring race which ends with the break being caught at the bottom of the 1400 m Mur.
What'r you talking about? That was completely normal. lol

Didn't LA win this race two years later arriving at the bottom of the Muur with one other rider (French guy on GAN) ?

I think Rik Verbrugghe smashed everyone at this race a year or two later too.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts

Where Bjarne cut his 60% teeth

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Forget the analysis, I can't go with anyone but Gilbert here. This is is probably his favorite and most important race of the year. Others might be the favorites and even make sense, but I'm pulling for him all of the way on this one.
too many trips up the Mur de Huy for Sagan. I'll stick with Gilbert, I was close last week.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roche for the upset!

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
J-Rod in the race...

It is now looking like J-Rod will race in the Flèche despite previous reports to the contrary. Normally, Rodriguez is the man on an uphill finish like the Mur - anyone want to change their winner prognosis in light of this news?

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Ferretti somehow always managed to fly under that radar. But if you're in the know you know.

Maybe I should see a lot of the race. Ever once and again it turns tactical. 10 m/s crosswinds from the start but a headwind on the approach to Huy, according to inrng. Nordhaug says won't go on the attack like he did with Hesjedal last year, but wait for the Mur.

Btw Norwegian TV2 don't call Hesjedal Ryder, but Reidar. :D They figured that with such a fine Norwegian surname he needed a fine Norwegian first name too.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Three Canadians riding today:

Ryder Hesjedal
Christian Meier
Will Routley

Good luck to you!

Ryder is not the explosive kind. Not his style unless he has a sizeable lead at the bottom of the mur.
I don't expect him it win, but I still would like him to.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far, breaks and counters by the peloton. BMC at the front for Gilbert...

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
32km to go and Ten Dam and Bardet are trying thier luck.
BMC appears to be weakening while Sky is coming on...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.