Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there is several Flight Deck users out there, can you give me some reviews and the "inside scoop" on these set-ups?

I have a Ultegra Triple 9 speed on my Bianchi and althought I have been using Sigma computers for over 10 years now, I am interested in a Flight Deck since my Bianchi is actually compatable with em.

The one thing I don't like is, when on the trainer my speed/ mileage doesnt read from the front tire sensor of the Sigma and have seen rear mount kits for the Flight Deck and thought I might give it a try, not to mention the cadeance feature would be a plus if it is all it is advertised as.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
mdewitt71 said:
I am sure there is several Flight Deck users out there, can you give me some reviews and the "inside scoop" on these set-ups?..........
I've used Flightdecks for about 4 years and love them. I really like the wireless model and have had no trouble. I use a coded Polar HRM right next to my FD too.

I'm sure the rear wheel mount should work. My guess is that it is a wired piece.
 

· NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
mdewitt71 said:
I am sure there is several Flight Deck users out there, can you give me some reviews and the "inside scoop" on these set-ups?

I have a Ultegra Triple 9 speed on my Bianchi and althought I have been using Sigma computers for over 10 years now, I am interested in a Flight Deck since my Bianchi is actually compatable with em.

The one thing I don't like is, when on the trainer my speed/ mileage doesnt read from the front tire sensor of the Sigma and have seen rear mount kits for the Flight Deck and thought I might give it a try, not to mention the cadeance feature would be a plus if it is all it is advertised as.
They work. The shifter/cpu connection can be troublesome, but once it's worked out it's no problem.

Don't know anything about a rear wheel kit. Just keep the Sigma (wired?) and use it as a temp when on the trainer. Wire may only reach to the top tube, but it works.

Cadence feature works as advertised as does the gear indicator.

My biggest problem was that I kept hitting the button on the left shifter. If it is in the mode that shows 'miles', hitting this button shuts it off.

TF
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
The flightdeck feature set just seems so dated now, compared to computers with GPS, HRM and even power. Getting real cadence measurement is a really common feature even on low-end cycle computers, and do you really need the computer to tell you what gear you are in? The front chain-ring should be obvious. For the rear sprocket you either just know what it is, or can take a quick peek, or failing that there is a Shimano doodad that installs on the shifter cable. The buttons on the shifter are nice but a mixed blessing.

Now if the gear selection was recorded in real-time along with cadence and power for later analysis on a PC, that would be more interesting to me.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ukbloke said:
The flightdeck feature set just seems so dated now, compared to computers with GPS, HRM and even power. Getting real cadence measurement is a really common feature even on low-end cycle computers, and do you really need the computer to tell you what gear you are in? The front chain-ring should be obvious. For the rear sprocket you either just know what it is, or can take a quick peek, or failing that there is a Shimano doodad that installs on the shifter cable. The buttons on the shifter are nice but a mixed blessing.

Now if the gear selection was recorded in real-time along with cadence and power for later analysis on a PC, that would be more interesting to me.
Yes, I understand the "dated" comment...especially now days with everyone running Garmins and what not. Heck, I got a ETrex that I bought while I was stationed in Germanyt in 2003 that is pretty much outdated now......
I don't really care about the gear display of the FD, the cadence feature and being able to use on my trainer as well as the road is what I am looking for. One that would pick up my HR from my chest band would be a plus too and I wouldnt have to worry about my HRM watch.......
I am in Iraq right now, I will do some more researching; have not really looked into the newer computers in the last year or so.....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
960 Posts
I've used the Flight Deck since early 05...
I've only ever accidentally shut it off twice...

I can understand the guys who say "well, it doesn't have REAL cadence, it's virtual... and that there is no power, or HRM, or GPS, or altitude".... personally I don't need HRM, I own a Polar already... and the GPS would be nice, but I'm in Indiana, its all laid out in a grid between cornfields... If you get lost, keep riding any given direction, and you'll hit a major state highway eventually. And Altitude... Did I mention that I'm in Indiana... what altitude????

All that being said.... I like it, the integration into the shifter has always worked easily...
Would I buy it again? Sure, although these days I don't think that I'd spend what I did in 05 for it...
 
G

·
TurboTurtle said:
They work. The shifter/cpu connection can be troublesome, but once it's worked out it's no problem.

Don't know anything about a rear wheel kit. Just keep the Sigma (wired?) and use it as a temp when on the trainer. Wire may only reach to the top tube, but it works.

Cadence feature works as advertised as does the gear indicator.

My biggest problem was that I kept hitting the button on the left shifter. If it is in the mode that shows 'miles', hitting this button shuts it off.

TF
I cut a piece of rubber from a old tube and placed it under the hood between the contact point and the button and it solved my problem. It does make pushing the button "Hard" to reset or change the modes, but it stop me from resetting my stats accidently when I grabbed the hoods...:thumbsup:
 

· Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
For the outdated part, the new designed FD coming with the new Dura Ace is going to supposedly have all the features of an Edge (I think without the GPS mapping though), wireless, downloadable, etc etc.

Looks pretty cool if it comes to pass.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
I wish all cycling computers had the feature that I think puts Flight Deck above the rest: the control buttons on the hoods so you can scroll through the various screens without taking your hands off the hoods. Just like brifters make shifting so much easier, convenient and efficient, the Flightdeck buttons do the same for the compute display. I now look at cadence, average speed, speed, etc. etc. whenever the fancy strikes me and I enjoy that.

Although it's probably considered fredish, I also like the gear display. And it's not because I'm a newby, I've been riding derailleur bikes for almost 40 years. I still enjoy being able to look at the display and know where I am on the rear cassette.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top