Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a BH flip-flop hub from the 1950s that came with a 3 speed TDC freewheel. I want to run it without a derailleur and was originally thinking of setting up with a single speed freewheel and fixed on the other side. But I'm thinking of just running the 3 speed FW as my "single" freewheel because the wheel is dished for it. I can move the chain to the appropriate size depending on the how long the climb or flat is. The freewheel is 16-18-20 with a 46T single chainring. I'm not really sure what would be best. Just throwing this out there for discussion.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
so I have a BH flip-flop hub from the 1950s that came with a 3 speed TDC freewheel. I want to run it without a derailleur and was originally thinking of setting up with a single speed freewheel and fixed on the other side. But I'm thinking of just running the 3 speed FW as my "single" freewheel because the wheel is dished for it. I can move the chain to the appropriate size depending on the how long the climb or flat is. The freewheel is 16-18-20 with a 46T single chainring. I'm not really sure what would be best. Just throwing this out there for discussion.
It might work, but there are some issues. You'll need a chain tensioner, of course, and I'm not sure how well that will work with the chainline shifts as you move to the other cogs (I'm assuming you have a straight chainline on the middle cog). The derailleur of course takes care of that issue, but I don't know if chain tensioners have enough lateral play not to create a problem.

You would have a pretty nice gear range.

On the other hand, if you really want SS, re-spacing the axle to get a good chainline and then re-dishing the wheel is not a difficult task, assuming the wheel is in good shape (especially, no corrosion that prevents the spoke nipples from turning freely).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts