Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to have a new wheel build with two sizes of cogs on the hub (not SS). I was initially looking at getting a Miche rear or maybe a Surley hub. When I was talking to the guys at my lbs it sounded like it was not worth it (I forget why but having enough spacing in the dropouts was one (I have run a 17 and a 14 with the same chain and everything fit)) to run two fixed cogs. Do they just not know? Or should I just get a Campy Piste rear with one gear on it. I'd like to have a wheel that I can commute on that's floppable for big speed (I can dream) for ITTs. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I figured. The only thing that I want to be careful of is making sure the chain line stays the same and that the bearings aren't trash. I've heard of some people saying Miche bearings aren't that good, no idea about the Surly ones (but Miche ones come in colours!). One of the guys in the shop I was talking to, I have to take with a grain of salt as if it's not Campy, you're doing it wrong. He has a Campy tattoo if that helps give you an idea what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a Phil Wood fixed/fixed hub but use 49/18 95% of the time, however have used the other side (49/16) for velodrome riding and fast flat rides when I'm in really good shape. Chainline is good w/ both sides. The Phil hub is a good option, have had mine 6 years w/ LOTS of miles and it is still smooth w/ no play...expensive initially but worth it in the long run if you ride a lot (and mighty good lookin' too). Two PW lockrings were included when I bought mine...

·
eRacer
2,547 Posts
ukiahb said:
I have a Phil Wood fixed/fixed hub but use 49/18 95% of the time, however have used the other side (49/16) for velodrome riding and fast flat rides when I'm in really good shape. Chainline is good w/ both sides. The Phil hub is a good option, have had mine 6 years w/ LOTS of miles and it is still smooth w/ no play...expensive initially but worth it in the long run if you ride a lot (and mighty good lookin' too). Two PW lockrings were included when I bought mine...
Very Nice.

·
9,925 Posts
I have fixed-fixed wheels in stock. It isn't as rare as your shop seems to think.

That said, I'd just go with a 3 speed fixed hub.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha, my bike's isn't worthy of a pair of Phil hubs. I mostly commute with it but, I'd like to flop the wheel and screw around with some more go fast riding a few times a month. I was looking at Miche as I'd hope that they'd be a lot better then hubs I have on now (generic oem stuff with alex rims) and not too expensive. The current hub is also fixed / free (which I've never used anyway) so I'd like something more useful.

I don't think it's that my shop thinks it all that rare, it's just that they don't really do a lot of fixed work. Road work, I'd say they're pretty good at it and trust them in that genre. Fixed isn't really their specialty that's all, thus I consult the mythical forums.

·
9,925 Posts
Fixed isn't my specialty either, but I have a lot of experience with track (real, as in Velodrome) bikes. I stock what people want though, and I do a decent enough business selling for the same price as eBay, including the shipping charges.

While the Phil hubs would be great, they are - as you know - expensive. The Formula cartridge bearing hubs really ARE hard to beat. They roll smooth, don't cost much, and are readily available.

That said, if you can get a Miche hub, I'd recommend you do so. Miche stuff is excellent.

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
PlatyPius said:
That said, I'd just go with a 3 speed fixed hub.
Hmmm... says the guy who's been dying to make the Peugeot frame hanging in the garage a fixie, but lives in the middle of a bunch of hills.

I'd heard rumors of the possibility some time ago, didn't realize it actually happened. Thanks for pointing it out.

·
9,925 Posts
wibly wobly said:
nah, you need a wheel like what I want to make. just put a gear for climbing and a gear for the flats on it.... mounted with wing nuts of course.
Let's see...
Stop. Remove wheel. Flip wheel. Reinstall wheel. Ride.

or

Click shifter.

Yeah....I'm thinking I'd have to go with the 3 speed hub. But, fixies are "more simple", aren't they? :p

·
9,925 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.