Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, looking to try a little lower position I flipped my stem down (or right side up, if you prefer). It's a 120mm, so the effect was to drop the bars about an inch. I've done two short rides in the new configuration, and the change was pretty dramtic. Much more weight in my hands, stess on lower back. Will I adapt to new position, and if so how many miles should I give it to see.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't say how long it will take but keep in mind that lowering your handlebars will also increase your reach, this will stretch you out a bit more as well. A shorter stem may help you out if you find you can't adjust to the stretch of lower handlebars.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
that's a pretty big change all at once. do you have any spacers on top that you could move down and make this a more gradual change?

·
What the what???
12,714 Posts
You might try lowering your saddle a bit temporarily. It will take a bit of pressure off your hands and back. Don't lower it too much, though, or you'll likely end up swapping pain in your knees and thighs. You can then gradually raise the saddle back up as your body adjusts over time...

So says the guy with the high-rise stem... :)

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I flipped a 90 degree stem once, didn't take any time to adjust at all...

·
Registered
472 Posts
JMac said:
So, looking to try a little lower position I flipped my stem down (or right side up, if you prefer). It's a 120mm, so the effect was to drop the bars about an inch. I've done two short rides in the new configuration, and the change was pretty dramtic. Much more weight in my hands, stess on lower back. Will I adapt to new position, and if so how many miles should I give it to see.
Is it an 84/-6 degree stem? If the rise is greater than 84, flipping is a huge change. You should flip it back (to original) and remove a spacer from the bottom first (just put the spacer on the top). For fit, I would always do changes in small increments.

If you're comfortable with your old position, why change?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I flippped mine down because I was finding myself comfortable in the drops, and spending more and more time in it. If this doesn't describe you too, then I wouldn't recommend flipping it until this does happen. As the previous poster said, it's also the angle of the stem. Mine wasn't a steep angle, so I didn't go down a lot. The reach was also effected, and I might ultimately change stem length, but haven't spent the time to decide.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
My thing is, I change the setting AFTER I feel/think it's actually needed. My record stands that I'm good at determining this and therefore need maybe a day's worth of adjustment at most.

Only "blind" (in comparison) swaps I perform are saddles and tires because those are difficult to make the call on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts