Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jno , 09-01-20 06:46 AM

Be warned! I am in Canada and one of the companies providing coverage of the Tour de France is Flobikes. They are referenced in lots of the bike mags and sites and their site had three inducements to subscribe: 7 day free trial; $12.50 per month rate; cancel anytime. When I subscribed, it asked for credit card info; once registration was complete, the confirmation email said I had a full year subscription - $150 came off my card.

A casual search online confirms that they’ve been running this scam for a while, and BBB has disgruntled subscribers who describe the same experience. Of course it is my fault that I did not take the necessary steps to safeguard myself. I hope I can spare one or more of you from falling into a year long subscription to Flobikes.

Scam, part one: no free trial, and no mention of it once you complete the basic registration info.

Scam, part two: Their reply to my email inquiry said $150 is $12.50/month but billed yearly and it’s a one yr subscription.

Scam part three: Their reply email invited me to take advantage of an additional 30% discount but, if I wished, I could cancel any time. I did cancel, 48 hrs after joining. Turns out, my cancellation is effective as of the one yr anniversary of my subscription which means I also missed out on the chance to lessen the impact of the scam by 30%

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I'd just call the CC company you have and have them retract the transaction as bogus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This happened to me too.

I emailed them and they refunded me $125 and let me keep the membership for the month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL- they said they’d charge me $30 for the month and release me from the one year commitment.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My money was refunded in full. Promptly after my complaint.

Not sure it was a Scam, I was told there was a disagreement over USA broadcast+streaming rights. Perhaps, there were not enough USA subscriptions to Flobikes to pay the lawyers to defend against NBCSports claims of exclusive distribution.

Not everything that you dislike or goes against you is automatically a Scam.

Paying for streaming content in a media driven society may be the future for almost all entertainment. Just do away with ALL the ads if I must pay, please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure that it qualifies as a scam ... but, in reality, they want the annual fee up front. It initially suggests that you can pay monthly, but that's not the case. Also, it is not made clear that the TDF, for example, is ONLY available in Canada (I'm in the US); I have alternative access to The Tour so it was not an issue. Also, the Flobikes announcers are unwatchable. Thankfully, they mostly use other feeds. Will I renew next year? Not if I have options. I think Eurosport should offer subscriptions worldwide. They could make millions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would have been happy to sign up for a month to watch the TdF, maybe I would have liked the service and kept going or I would have quit in a month. At least they would have got a month from me.

No way I was signing up for a full year up front, so they got nothing, hopefully that's what most people did....

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
They scammed me too!

but

I am not sad they did. With the TDF, several classics, the Giro and Vuelta and tomorrow Paris Roubaix - that's worth the 150 Cdn to me right there. Rest of the year will be gravy ;)

though the announcers are total shgt on every race. truly amateur hour, but better than trying to decipher dutch or spanish commentary for me on Youtube uploads.

I heard it is possible to share the subscription with another couple guys across multiple devices to cut costs too.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I watch everything for free on tiz. It’s all Eurosport, so good coverage. I use an old laptop just in case....

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Fark! I paid the yearly sub to Flobike, after getting sucked in by the $12 a month lie back in August. But oh well I enjoyed the Aug-Nov events on there. Now as of today they have locked me out unless I pay up another $150 now? I thought I paid for 12 months of events! scam for sure. Their 'contact us' is literally a dead end on the site.

I just want to see the cross world cups. These events come on Youtube after a couple days so no way I am paying into their scam again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fark! I paid the yearly sub to Flobike, after getting sucked in by the $12 a month lie back in August. But oh well I enjoyed the Aug-Nov events on there. Now as of today they have locked me out unless I pay up another $150 now? I thought I paid for 12 months of events! scam for sure. Their 'contact us' is literally a dead end on the site.

I just want to see the cross world cups. These events come on Youtube after a couple days so no way I am paying into their scam again

The same thing just happened to me. I logged in and was told to sign up for a subscription, for which I had already paid $150 US($206 CAN!) back in July.
Have you contacted them and /or gotten your subscription reinstated?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,737 Posts
FWIW...I didn't have any billing issues with Flo over the last year. BUT, there's basically no US video coverage for 2021, so ended my subscription. Moving to GCN

1 - 14 of 14 Posts