Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beatchin' Technology
372 Posts
Pumping

I think mine is called the Air Tool Pro by Specialized. Three years-no problems and my LBS stands solidly :thumbsup: behind everything they sell.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I 2nd the specialized pump, I have the comp model had it for 7-8 years before I broke the head... my LBS gave me a new one and will send my old one in for warranty... All this cost me $0!

The new pump is still the same design as it was 8 yrs ago, which to me shows this is a solid design.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I third the Specialized pumps if you use Schrader and Presta Valves. Pumps tires up quick and my Air Tool Comp has lasted 4 years trouble free.

If you want something that will probably outlast you...a Silca Pista (best for Presta valves only) is a workhorse. Mine is over 15 years old and works perfectly...but I use the Specialized more because the Pista requires about 3X more pumps to fill a tire.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Maintenance needed

hayduke1972 said:
I third the Specialized pumps if you use Schrader and Presta Valves. Pumps tires up quick and my Air Tool Comp has lasted 4 years trouble free.

If you want something that will probably outlast you...a Silca Pista (best for Presta valves only) is a workhorse. Mine is over 15 years old and works perfectly...but I use the Specialized more because the Pista requires about 3X more pumps to fill a tire.
+1 on the Silca Super Pista. Accurate gauge, very durable, and easy to get maintenance parts.

If your Silca takes 3X more pumps to get up to pressure, then it likely needs some grease on the leather washer (inside the pump barrel) or a new leather washer. There is no reason why you should have to pump so much more with a Silca.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Its more volume than anything

Kerry Irons said:
If your Silca takes 3X more pumps to get up to pressure, then it likely needs some grease on the leather washer (inside the pump barrel) or a new leather washer. There is no reason why you should have to pump so much more with a Silca.
That has all been done...regularly. Remember, the Pista is smaller and pumps quite a bit less air than the Super Pista which has a much larger air barrel. I spent 8 years as a bike mechanic, the Pista was used as shop pumps all the time because of its durability. But its just not a very high volume pump.

The Specialized has an even larger air barrel than both...3x might be an exaggeration but I can seriously fill a 700 x 25c tire with the Specialized pump in half a dozen strokes.
:thumbsup:

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Joe Blow with the smart valve is amazing.

If you wanna go cheap Nashbar's big red pump is nice but stay with smooth presta valves otherwise you could run into problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.