Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many single speed cities and counties that are basically flat or have relatively small variations in elevation. Chicago would most certainly be one of those cities and New Orleans too. However, we don't usually think of an entire state being flat. Well Florida is just such a state. It's incredibly flat and single speed friendly.

Florida should eventually be called the "fixie state", should Floridian cyclists ever invest in the appropriate bikes for their landscape. :D

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I've come to think Florida is beyond fixing. But that comment probably belongs in the PO forum.

Delaware is even flatter, but then it's so small that after a few minutes you've ridden into another state.

Rhode Island has for a number of years hosted a ride called "The Flattest Century in the East," but it's not, really, any more. And there's a surprising amount of steep (but short) rollers on the roads there.

Florida has wind, I hear. A long stretch of headwind on a FG can make one feel very oppressed. I'd rather climb a hill (though I'm content to do either -- riding is always better than not riding).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've come to think Florida is beyond fixing. But that comment probably belongs in the PO forum.

Delaware is even flatter, but then it's so small that after a few minutes you've ridden into another state.

Rhode Island has for a number of years hosted a ride called "The Flattest Century in the East," but it's not, really, any more. And there's a surprising amount of steep (but short) rollers on the roads there.

Florida has wind, I hear. A long stretch of headwind on a FG can make one feel very oppressed. I'd rather climb a hill (though I'm content to do either -- riding is always better than not riding).
I really enjoyed this reponse, JCavilla! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You obviously haven't been around the state enough. Check out Clermont, Ocala, etc
My std ride is along the inter coastal, far from flat and typically a wind.
One of my sons classmates wanted to go for a ride with him, he showed up on a fixie, had to stop every 15 minutes and take a break, walk up some areas (not to mention skipping the real grade option as part of the ride), didn't finish the ride (had to call home to get picked up).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You obviously haven't been around the state enough. Check out Clermont, Ocala, etc
My std ride is along the inter coastal, far from flat and typically a wind.
One of my sons classmates wanted to go for a ride with him, he showed up on a fixie, had to stop every 15 minutes and take a break, walk up some areas (not to mention skipping the real grade option as part of the ride), didn't finish the ride (had to call home to get picked up).
Sure there are a few hilly areas in NW Florida. However, I'd be very reluctant to call any of those hills, mountains. The highest elevation point in Florida is a place called, "Briton Hill", and that summits at 345 ft. Most of Florida has relatively few hills. The only factor that would impede bicycle progress in Florida is primarily the wind. IMHO, most cyclists in good shape should most probably not take that many Florida hills too seriously when cycling with single speeds on paved roads.

Edited

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
There's this thing we say to fixie riders when the peloton turns with the wind: buh-bye.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Sure there are a few hilly areas in NW Florida. However, I'd be very reluctant to call any of those hills, mountains. The highest elevation point in Florida is a place called, "Briton Hill", and that summits at 345 ft. Most of Florida has relatively few hills. The only factor that would impede bicycle progress in Florida is primarily the wind. IMHO, most cyclists in good shape should not take any Florida hills too seriously when cycling with single speeds on paved roads.
How much time and where have you been in Florida?
My guess is you've only seen it on a map or have been in urban areas.
I've driven past Britton Hill on my way lot Alabama many a time. While it's the high spot it's not a hilly area. It's the hills that matter not the elevation.
This cycle park used to host a mountain bike trail years ago
Hardrock Track Information
This is central Florida not the NW, it's full of rolling hills (some with ridiculous grades).
Here's a post from someone with little knowledge on Florida cycling terrain.
Because I Can...: "Holy Hills, Batman!" Our Team Trip to Clermont (FL)
Florida doesn't have any mountains but it has plenty of elevation change with good grade if you now where to look.

I had some sympathy for you on the http://forums.roadbikereview.com/save-some-weight/you-just-cant-fix-stupid-302608.html, I'm rethinking it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How much time and where have you been in Florida?
My guess is you've only seen it on a map or have been in urban areas.
I've driven past Britton Hill on my way lot Alabama many a time. While it's the high spot it's not a hilly area. It's the hills that matter not the elevation.
This cycle park used to host a mountain bike trail years ago
Hardrock Track Information
This is central Florida not the NW, it's full of rolling hills (some with ridiculous grades).
Here's a post from someone with little knowledge on Florida cycling terrain.
Because I Can...: "Holy Hills, Batman!" Our Team Trip to Clermont (FL)
Florida doesn't have any mountains but it has plenty of elevation change with good grade if you now where to look.

I had some sympathy for you on the http://forums.roadbikereview.com/save-some-weight/you-just-cant-fix-stupid-302608.html, I'm rethinking it.
My fundamental point here, is that Florida is basically a "flat" state when compared to other states. Is it completely flat? Well, quite obviously it's not. There do exist several places within the state where single speedsters will feel challenged. However, throughout most of the state, I feel that experience would be a rarity.

At any rate, your point is well taken.

Thanks for the sympathy, Mikerp! :thumbsup:

You do know of course that the initial post was rooted in, and inspired of tongue-in-cheek...

·
Registered
503 Posts
There are many single speed cities and counties that are basically flat or have relatively small variations in elevation. Chicago would most certainly be one of those cities and New Orleans too. However, we don't usually think of an entire state being flat. Well Florida is just such a state. It's incredibly flat and single speed friendly.

Florida should eventually be called the "fixie state", should Floridian cyclists ever invest in the appropriate bikes for their landscape. :D
Hi Zeet, here is a route for you to try: Backdoor loop to Yalaha bakery with extra hills - Winter Garden, Florida

I ride my CX bike on that route and do plenty of shifting. Don't think you would want to try it with a fixie!

Go try that route and then tell me how flat Florida is ;-)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.