1 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak 54.14.49
2 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery 0.03.75
3 Dave Zabriskie (USA) CSC 0.23.91
4 Nathan O'Neill (Aus) Health Net 0.55.00
5 José Enrique Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak 1.22.65
6 Jason McCartney (USA) Discovery 1.37.74
7 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Discovery 1.52.84
8 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Prodir 1.55.51

Instantly, this is a two-horse race that will be decided on the big mountain.

Can Zabriskie climb? If he can hang at Brasstown Bald, he'll have a good July.

Brasstown Bald?

francois

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrt10x said:
I guess Tommy D has been working on his TT a bit? 20 seconds from Dave Z
Tommy D done reeeeaaaal good. He might have just taken over TDF leadership from Popovych. Get well soon Hincapie.

francois

·
Registered
28 Posts
francois said:
I was a little suprised at how well he did in the Friday and Saturday stages last year. He finished with leaders on the Friday stage and on Saturday he stayed with the leaders until the bottom of Brasstown where he ended up losing about 3 minutes - not too bad. That Brasstown Bald is an absolute wall, but Hogpen Gap is no piece of cake either. This year, they are doing it "backwards" where it's shorter but steeper. Descending the side that they are climbing just about gives me a heart attack.

Now that Grajales is back in the race this year, I'm interested to see if he can do something on Saturday.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
francois said:
Results for today's Time Trial

Provisional
1 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak 54.14.49
2 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery 0.03.75
3 Dave Zabriskie (USA) CSC 0.23.91
4 Nathan O'Neill (Aus) Health Net 0.55.00
5 José Enrique Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak 1.22.65
6 Jason McCartney (USA) Discovery 1.37.74
7 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Discovery 1.52.84
8 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Prodir 1.55.51

Instantly, this is a two-horse race that will be decided on the big mountain.

Brasstown Bald?

francois

Do you still think Zabriskie will outdo Basso in all 3 ITTs at the TDF?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Floyd had to get all the time he could today. He's a climbers for sure, but now Disco can use tactics Quick-Step traditionally employ in the classics. They have three riders, three cards to play, three climbing cards to play. Landis can be isolated and attacked. If climbers from other teams who aren't a threat make their move and any of the three Discos can follow, Landis must show tactical sense and hold his lead. If he does, he's looking better and better for the Tour.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
francois said:
Tommy D done reeeeaaaal good. He might have just taken over TDF leadership from Popovych. Get well soon Hincapie.

francois

There's no way in hell Tom D is going to be the Disco leader for the TDF even considering how unimpressive Popo is.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rocco said:
Do you still think Zabriskie will outdo Basso in all 3 ITTs at the TDF?
Yes I do. Well, maybe 2 out of 3. He's not looking so hot. Maybe he's peaking for July. Maybe not.

What about you? Do you think Basso will outdo Zabriskie in all 3?

francois

·
Registered
192 Posts
hate to break it to you guys, but all the hype about, let's admit it to ourselves - a relatively low key April race, and it's meaning in relationship to a big race in July, is just that - hype. Popovych was third at Giro at age 23 and 12th in last year's Tour while working for Lance.
Danielson is two years older than Popo, but his best result is 8th at Vuelta last year, at age 27.

Who would you bet on for the future of the team?

Landis was very impressive in Paris-Nice and he may be able to take TdG, but something tells me Popo will be ahead of Landis (and Danielson) at TdF. Zabriskie will beat Landis at both time trials.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
francois said:
Yes I do. Well, maybe 2 out of 3. He's not looking so hot. Maybe he's peaking for July. Maybe not.

What about you? Do you think Basso will outdo Zabriskie in all 3?

francois

Let's put it this way, Zabriske will not beat Basso in all 3. For all we know even the inconsistent Botero could beat Zabriske in all 3. Winning one 19 km ITT in TDF doesn't really secured the preeminent status that so many seem to be giving him. He may further prove himself in the ITT this year but on the other hand I wouldn't so surprised if he never won another TDF ITT ever again. I wonder how many years have you been seriously following the TDF?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
rocco said:
Let's put it this way, Zabriske will not beat Basso in all 3. For all we know even the inconsistent Botero could beat Zabriske in all 3. Winning one 19 km ITT in TDF doesn't really secured the preeminent status that so many seem to be giving him. He may further prove himself in the ITT this year but on the other hand I wouldn't so surprised if he never won another TDF ITT ever again. I wonder how many years have you been seriously following the TDF?
I think Dave has to find a way to become more mentally solid if he's going to even finish the Tour.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Floyd had to get all the time he could today. He's a climbers for sure, but now Disco can use tactics Quick-Step traditionally employ in the classics. They have three riders, three cards to play, three climbing cards to play. Landis can be isolated and attacked. If climbers from other teams who aren't a threat make their move and any of the three Discos can follow, Landis must show tactical sense and hold his lead. If he does, he's looking better and better for the Tour.

I don't think multi-threat tactics translate as well to stage races as they do in single day races.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
MaRider said:
hate to break it to you guys, but all the hype about, let's admit it to ourselves - a relatively low key April race, and it's meaning in relationship to a big race in July, is just that - hype. Popovych was third at Giro at age 23 and 12th in last year's Tour while working for Lance.
Danielson is two years older than Popo, but his best result is 8th at Vuelta last year, at age 27.

Who would you bet on for the future of the team?

Landis was very impressive in Paris-Nice and he may be able to take TdG, but something tells me Popo will be ahead of Landis (and Danielson) at TdF. Zabriskie will beat Landis at both time trials.

Yes it's very early however, Danielson will not even be on the TDF team, Popo won't beat Landis and neither will Zabriskie. There's too much hay being made over Popo and Zabriskie. ...Hell, the same probably goes for Landis. We'll see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
rocco said:
Zabriskie has done more than that one TT. He had a 1st (in front of Basso) and a 3rd in last years Giro, plus a US TT championship. That stage that he won solo in the '04 Vuelta was epic.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
I think Dave has to find a way to become more mentally solid if he's going to even finish the Tour.

I agree... People are making way too big of deal about him.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Going into this race I wanted to see Landis win it(still do).He just seems like a cool guy.

However,I am more impressed by Tom D's perfomance today.I was expecting Floyd to crush him.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
21switchbacks said:
Zabriskie has done more than that one TT. He had a 1st (in front of Basso) and a 3rd in last years Giro, plus a US TT championship. That stage that he won solo in the '04 Vuelta was epic.

3rd in last years Giro? DZ was 17 seconds ahead of IB in the Firenze ITT and IB was 20 seconds ahead of DZ in the Torino ITT. US TT championship?... you seriously think that's much of a reason? He's still far from preeminent status in TDF ITTs.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
context

R.Rice said:
Going into this race I wanted to see Landis win it(still do).He just seems like a cool guy.

However,I am more impressed by Tom D's perfomance today.I was expecting Floyd to crush him.

Yes he did a great job today to finish 2nd but then again this is really his big race of the year.
I see Floyd as consistently strong this spring while Tom D is reaching for the defence of his title. Zabriske, Popo and etc. are still early in their TDF building programs.

·
Registered
467 Posts
rocco said:
Yes he did a great job today to finish 2nd but then again this is really his big race of the year.
I see Floyd as consistently strong this spring while Tom D is reaching for the defence of his title. Zabriske, Popo and etc. are still early in their TDF building programs.
I agree.I was still hoping to see a whoopin'.:D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts