Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Is this "legalization" going to come back and cause health concerns that's going to cause all kinds of legal battles?

I don't understand why anyone would do this to themselves for recreation. That goes for alcohol as well. I must be missing that gene....

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Is this "legalization" going to come back and cause health concerns that's going to cause all kinds of legal battles?

I don't understand why anyone would do this to themselves for recreation. That goes for alcohol as well. I must be missing that gene....
It will be interesting to track, but I suspect that the percentage of folks using weed will remain largely unchanged. Its just that they are now doing it legally now. Its not as keeping it criminal was stopping all that many people. I am not endorsing it, just stating eh obvious that there was lots of users before it became legal

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Excellent points. I agree too that legalization may not bring in a ton of new consumers.

I work with many families who spend too much time and resources on obtaining "weed" and now that I think about it, many of these families will not have to worry about long term effects as they tend to wind up "incarcerated" or worse, die from other types of indulgences...

If they would spend a fraction of that time on education, working harder or what ever ...anyway, just my opinion and who am I to say... OK venting done...

·
Proud luddite
7,223 Posts
I am sure that Landis will use the profits to repay the many people who contributed financially towards his legal defense fund when he was claiming innocence from doping. And I am also sure that a unicorn just flew out of my keister.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,128 Posts

It's never too late to start.

It's Friday. Get yourself a sixer of some good beer and a doob. Kick back and watch some movies.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Floyd is getting a late start behind Snoop and Willie Nelson. Rest assured, there is some BIG money going into pot in Colorado, but most of the investors want to remain anonymous.

Pot is one of the few ground floor opportunities you'll see in your lifetime. A friend's son is making huge bank building and selling automated irrigation systems for the pot industry. As pot expands, the Colorado companies have a huge leg up on the rest of the country in selling stuff like lighting, greenhouses, irrigation, security, processing equipment, etc.

There is absolutely no reason for it to be a Schedule 1 drug, and eventually, that will change and it will be almost as ubiquitous as booze. A lot of the health issues around smoking pot are being addressed by edibles. In a few years when you go to a bar you'll be able to get a Margarita or a Weedarita.

Do you really think that states like Illinois that are circling the drain aren't looking at legalizing/taxing the hell out of it? When I was a kid, the only place in the US you could legally gamble was Las Vegas, you couldn't even buy a lottery ticket. Look at gambling now. All the moral objections were snowed under by dollar signs.

I live in Colorado, I don't do pot, but I have no problem with what is happening here. The few issues that have arisen are small potatoes compared to the damage done by booze, and many of the issues will go away over time as people become jaded about it and other states legalize it. In the meantime, it is paying for schools and the economy here is staying afloat despite the huge losses in the oil, gas and coal industries, which twenty years ago would have sunk the state, again.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
It's never too late to start.

It's Friday. Get yourself a sixer of some good beer and a doob. Kick back and watch some movies.
I'd rather go for a ride or hit the river...life is too short for standing around...cheers!

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
QUOTE I don't do pot, but I have no problem with what is happening here. The few issues that have arisen are small potatoes compared to the damage done by booze,

I agree 100% on the booze issue. And as much as people dispute the ill effects of pot, my sister, who was killed by a driver under the influence of pot would say pot can be just as bad.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
QUOTE I don't do pot, but I have no problem with what is happening here. The few issues that have arisen are small potatoes compared to the damage done by booze,

I agree 100% on the booze issue. And as much as people dispute the ill effects of pot, my sister, who was killed by a driver under the influence of pot would say pot can be just as bad.
I am sorry for your loss. I agree with honkinunit that we will see more states legalize. I dont see them relaxing laws about DUI though. That wont 100% prevent more tragedies but it helps. If you are drunk or stoned stay home, or call Uber

·
Registered
229 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. My brother was seriously injured by a guy who was over .2 BAC who had been convicted of DUI *SIX* times, had no license, and who was driving his father's car without his permission. He still didn't go to jail.

Stupid people are stupid people. They'll drive after drinking, smoking pot, doing meth, taking painkillers, and then they'll text while they drive with their knees. If the legal system doesn't punish them when they are caught, they'll do it over and over.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I am sure that Landis will use the profits to repay the many people who contributed financially towards his legal defense fund when he was claiming innocence from doping. And I am also sure that a unicorn just flew out of my keister.
He swore on Tugboat's grave he was going to repay the Landis Fund money.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your sister. My brother was seriously injured by a guy who was over .2 BAC who had been convicted of DUI *SIX* times, had no license, and who was driving his father's car without his permission. He still didn't go to jail.
Seriously? The judge deserves the same sentence the driver should have received.

Not too sure I'm for legalization of pot. Legalized, more people will use it, especially since it doesn't have to be smoked. And so more people will drive under its influence. And it's just as bad as drunk on one's ability to drive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts