Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're flying tomarrow and need to pack our bikes into boxes. I have a book that has pictures and descriptions, but I wanted some tips from you guys. Any suggestions,tips?
Thanx:cool:

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
talk about last minute.

do you already have the bike boxes? are they Trico Cases (and the like) or cardboard boxes from your LBS?

I always take off the RD. Pack your cycling clothes in with the bike to save some space, just make sure they're in a bag or something so chain grease won't get 'em filthy.

i assume the book covers the rest.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Help us out

dodi said:
We're flying tomarrow and need to pack our bikes into boxes. I have a book that has pictures and descriptions, but I wanted some tips from you guys. Any suggestions,tips?
Gee, plan ahead why doncha? Anyhow, how about you tell us what the book says and then we can augment that. Otherwise, you're asking us to do all the work by repeating what is in your book.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Make sure it can be searched

dodi said:
Thanx:cool:
A few airports have x-ray equipment into which bike boxes can fit. But, many do not -- and that means that the TSA will have to open your box and inspect everything inside. So, make sure that your box can be opened and searched. Also, if you are putting other things inside the box with the bike, put them in bags or otherwise secure them so that when the TSA unpacks your box, nothing goes astray. Last year, I was missing an allen wrench after a flight. Finally, do not pack co2 cartridges -- although some people have gotten them through inspection, they are not allowed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'll be FedEx'ing my bike across country this year (my step-brother works at FedEx), so this is a useful topic. Once you remove the RD to put it in the box, then at the other side you put the RD back on: does the RD usually need to be tuned again?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
iherald said:
I'll be FedEx'ing my bike across country this year (my step-brother works at FedEx), so this is a useful topic. Once you remove the RD to put it in the box, then at the other side you put the RD back on: does the RD usually need to be tuned again?
Theoretically no. But sometimes you might have to adjust cable tension just a tad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good point.

MarkS said:
A few airports have x-ray equipment into which bike boxes can fit. But, many do not -- and that means that the TSA will have to open your box and inspect everything inside. So, make sure that your box can be opened and searched. Also, if you are putting other things inside the box with the bike, put them in bags or otherwise secure them so that when the TSA unpacks your box, nothing goes astray. Last year, I was missing an allen wrench after a flight. Finally, do not pack co2 cartridges -- although some people have gotten them through inspection, they are not allowed.
I made custom boxes for our mountain bikes and they still the could not fit through the large x-ray machine at DIA. I think the maximum width was 26". The TSA guy was pretty cool and let me help repack it since I had it in there super tight. I wouldn't count on it though. Pack well and don't forget the dropout spacers. I kept my tools in a ditty bag strapped to the frame. Also don't get too crazy when packing the box with other stuff. The airline is probably already raping you for having a bike box, if you exceed their weight limit (usually 50-60 pounds), it's another charge on top.

Check out this website. It probably has more information you could ever want about traveling with a bike.

http://www.bikeaccess.net/BikeAccess/BikeBoxs_DB.cfm

·
Registered
255 Posts
Off completely?

Would you take the rd off the chain? Or would it be ok just hanging on the chain, maybe wrapped in bubble wrap or someting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts