Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after a year or two away from road biking, my fiancee and I got a Burley tandem and have been racking up the miles on the weekends. Now I'm getting the itch to ride during the week again!

After looking at the LBS's and remembering what I get for $1000-1300 in terms of components, frames, etc., I was very pleasantly surprised to see Flyte (which I knew used to be Airborne) selling the SRS-3, a pretty nice looking Al frame with Ultegra 10 and a lot of FSA carbon and Al goodies for $1299. I couldn't find an LBS brand with similar components for under $2000. Combine that with the glowing reviews of Airborne and Flyte, and I decided to give it a shot. And unlike the bikes from Ibex or bikesdirect.com, the Flyte just looks bad-a$$. Hey, it's a factor.

Now I'm kicking myself because I asked for a shorter stem, which pushed the ship date back another week because the size wasn't in stock. D'OH! And I could've had it this week! I suppose I have to hope for rain this weekend to make me feel better, because my stoker will be at work. Kudos to Flyte, though, for changing out the stem on a bike that was supposed to be "no substitutions" (one of their promo bikes) and saving me the headache of exchanging it later.

Anyone have any thoughts on the ride of the SRS-3? I'm a little concerned about the compact Al rear triangle, but I figure that can be fixed with a carbon seatpost later--I'll have to see for myself. I'd love to hear some reviews/experiences while I wait and drool--The reviews of the Airborne Thunderbolt I was able to find sounded good. I can't wait!

DrPete

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Very Nice

There has not been a lot of feedback from the Flyte bikes yet.

The flytes look a little more racey than the Airbornes. Neither look really ever appealed to me.

I have a Zeppelin with an under stated sticker package and am really happy. The small rear triangle also takes some getting used visually but I love my Zeppelin so much I have grown fond of it's look as well.

Please post some pics and ride reports as soon as you can.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts