Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corndog and others running this tire, are you always mounting the rear tire in the direction shown in the picture below?

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
The angle of the side knobs has a big effect on how predictable a tire is when you're riding the line of breaking it loose or not. It's not like it doesn't work the other way, but it will have a tendency to go from holding to no grip at all rather abruptly.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
pretender said:
Maybe I'm the only person that thinks the direction of the tread has almost nil effect on traction and rolling resistance.
Yep. I end up running front and rears the same just for aesthetics.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
Yep. I end up running front and rears the same just for aesthetics.
I run the rear in reverse direction--you know, to better "scoop" loose sand or dirt--but more out of superstition than anything else.

·
Registered
840 Posts
pretender said:
Maybe I'm the only person that thinks the direction of the tread has almost nil effect on traction and rolling resistance.
I agree. The knobs on cross treads aren't big enough or shaped in a way to be directional. I think some of the ramped knob designs in the mtb world would be killer for cross. I'm thinking of sending some Small Block Eight Cross tires to Francois to mount on 32 mm casings to try.

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
Yikes. The small block 8 has never seemed like a good tread for me, mtb or cx. Way to little lateral grip and absolutely nothing on wet roots (for mtb use).

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Damnit Zank; you stole my idea. I was going to do that for next yr. Still may, or Rocket Ron's.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,446 Posts
pretender said:
i agree...i think pressure has a lot more of an impact than tread...

·
bike rider
48 Posts
Fwiw

FWIW - I mounted the rear in the other direction (middle tread pointing backwards) and the front with middle tread pointing forward. It generally looks similar to the hutchinson python tread, which I run on my clinchers and rather like. The hutchinson sidewalls direct you to mount the front in one direction and the rear in the other....

That and I don't think it matters that much. I'll let everybody know how this works once I ride them....glue is drying....

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sorry for my delay in replying! I always run the front and rear in the same direction (that you indicate). I am with the others in thinking it wouldn't actually make any difference.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Could be worse, could have just finished gluing up a set of Veloflex road tubulars only to find out you put the front tire on backwards which absolutely had to be corrected before racing on the wheel! :D

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
ms6073 said:
Could be worse, could have just finished gluing up a set of Veloflex road tubulars only to find out you put the front tire on backwards which absolutely had to be corrected before racing on the wheel! :D
Wouldn't it have been easier to just turn the wheel around?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts